The good, bad and ugly of tiller bow mount trolling motors

3/3/16 @ 5:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
rjdrez2
rjdrez2
USER since 12/1/06
I plan on putting one on my boat. I have to replace the foot control one that is on it now and I would like to hear what you think about them.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
3/17/16 @ 9:09 AM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
I went to a tiller years ago gave me a little more room ,like it better than the foot control ,but it is not easy to fish with if your working the shore line or following a break ,I prefer to anchor and work a spot so it works for me,back in the day when I fished hard the foot control was a better choice ,have no knowledge of the newer systems but if I change again will be going to remote steering.........

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 7:29 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
Seems like there are used copilot systems for sale now that guys are upgrading to the i-pilots. Then you'd have the remote option at a reasonable price point.

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 6:24 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I had a tiller handle Minn Kota on my last boat fixed in the Bow. I also didn't like foot peddles. It was made for the front unlike my first boat I put a transom unit on the front. Only reason I upgraded to a Terrova I-Pilot link was because it was stolen on a fishing trip. I guess the quick release bracket worked. It was a 24 volt, 80 lb thrust unit on a scissors type bracket. I have forgotten the name. I like the motor, very simple to use, but on a windy day, you kept having to readjust directions even during a cast. On a calm day or in very light wind it was not a problem. I would also bump steer it with my leg, but that only got you so far. In rivers, like the Mississippi, you could slip the current very well, but I sat down when doing this. The Link system is $$, but for me it was money well spent. When I troll for Eyes, I know the depth I want to be in and just set it and forget it. But that can be a problem when I want to work a shore line, the unit works so good you forget you are diving and have to watch out for swim platforms. I like the link system so much, when I upgraded boats I looked for one with a link already on it. My new one is 36v w/112 lb trust. It is big, but I think even controls the boat better (however, this might be the boat size). Ches.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 10:29 PM
rjdrez2
rjdrez2
USER since 12/1/06
motor is old, too small for the boat, and I hate the foot control. Time for a new one. I'm cheap and the remote is too expensive. Would just like to know what kind of experience people have had with the hand control bow mounts

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 9:10 PM
rjdrez2
rjdrez2
USER since 12/1/06
The remote control are out of the question. I can't justify to myself spending that kind of money on fishing equipment, much less justify it the wife. The way I fish it's not practical or really needed.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 4:43 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
What kind of a trolling motor are you replacing? There might be a cheap fix available depending on what it is.

Post Your Comment
3/5/16 @ 9:53 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I got the ipilot, but I don't like using the handheld remote very much. With the footpedal, you control the boat with your foot and that allows you to keep your hands working the rod all the time. Sometimes if I'm "guiding", then I go with the remote, but I'm not really fishing then and it's easier to move around the boat and have control on you at all times. I don't use spotlock much at this point, but I like that I have that as an option as I evolve what I do. I'm glad I have it. Definitely link it up to a locator with a map chip, that is gold, Jerry, GOLD. Get one with plenty of power and the right shaft length.

Post Your Comment
3/4/16 @ 3:38 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
If you can spend a little extra you should get a bow mount motor with the i-pilot. I couldn't go back to using the foot pedal or a handle after using the remote around my neck.

Post Your Comment
3/4/16 @ 10:59 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
You can't use two rods well when you have a hand controlled trolling motor.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
3/4/16 @ 6:36 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
Do you normally sit, I mean literally sit while fishing?

Small boat?

Can you get them with an autopilot feature?

Lakes or rivers?

Lots of variables to consider...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts