Suzuki motor shifting problem

4/27/15 @ 8:22 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
I have a 2004 Suzuki 115 HP that until yesterday has be problem free. When I shut off the motor while still in forward gear I could not shift the motor back to neutral. After trailering it home I tried it again and was still stuck. After an hour I went back and tried It and it worked? Any ideas? Lund
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
5/9/15 @ 6:32 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
As you now know, you shouldn't shift your outboard when it is not running (or shut the engine off in gear)

If you were hearing a grinding noise or something along those lines during normal operation I would suspect the clutch dog...

However, you were not having any issues, and your motor shifted fine. You simply turned the motor off while in gear.

Try spinning the prop by hand while someone else tries to put the shifter back in neutral.

Post Your Comment
5/5/15 @ 7:00 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
I would check the lower unit grease. The gearing in a motor that old shouldn't be that tight. You may have a bearing problem. Check for any metal filings on the magnet on the drain plug, or water in the grease. Spin the prop buy hand and check for any looseness.

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 7:20 AM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Ok, after no replies, I contacted the dealer that I bought the rig from. His theory is that since I shut off the motor while still in gear, the lower unit gears were tightly meshed holding it from releasing to neutral. Advised to make sure its in neutral to avoid "locking it up" so it will start when needed. Lund

Post Your Comment