Steering cable replacement

4/26/15 @ 12:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
cajunmusky
cajunmusky
USER since 8/22/05
Hey All- Got my rig out of storage and took it out last week- it was in storage for 3 years while I was in Afghanistan- whern I put it up for storage, the steering was smooth and effortless- last week, it was a huge effort to move the wheel- After poking around on the internet, I disconnected the push rods from the motor, and the motor turns like a dream, so that narrows it down to the cables- There are a lot of how to videos to replace steering cables, but apparently on this motor/hull combo the out board has to be lifted off of the transom to remove/replace the cables. The rig is a 1999 Fisher F18 Pro DC, identical hull as a nitro 18, and has a 1999 125 Mariner. Anybody aware of a fair/competent mech in the Antioch Il area, or possibly having some advice about gettin around the outboard removal issue? Thanks in advance.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
4/27/15 @ 6:44 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Just a possibility but have you looked into luring the cables first? Don't know if this is done with boats but it is done with other cables. Good question, I'm curious too.

Post Your Comment