small boat for pickup

3/6/16 @ 7:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
buchaye
buchaye
USER since 7/15/03
I have a nice 18 1/2 crestliner. But I am looking for a smaller boat, either jon boat or smaller bass style, to take to smaller waters. I will be by myself almost exclusively so weight is an issue. I don't intend to take it to large or rough water, just some of the sloughs and small lakes here in NW Wisconsin. I don't want another trailer if possible. What do you guys recommend?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
3/7/16 @ 10:56 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Canoe?

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 12:03 AM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
Years ago my buddy had a 10 ft aluminum Jon boat that we used to use to fish small lakes and WI river backwaters. Slapped a tiller trolling motor on it and we were good to go. Wasn't to heavy to get in and out of the back of a truck bed, even for one guy. He fished with it by himself quite often.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 10:19 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01
Check out a coleman crawdad.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 9:57 PM
Animated1
Animated1
USER since 1/20/09
Everyone once in a while I'll see an inflatable cruising around. They make them bigger and sturdier than one would think and can take a small motor. Those small plastic bass boats may be nice also. I think they have them at Cabelas or Gander.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 9:22 PM
buchaye
buchaye
USER since 7/15/03
Well...I'm 65 with a knee replacement. No kayak for me. (I looked at Native and Hobie last year...

Remember I want to put it in the back of a pickup. Weight is a factor for one person. Also length. No trailer, please.

Anyone use a 12 ft jon or minibass boat? Thoughts?

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 9:02 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Have you considered a kayak made specifically for fishing?

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 8:53 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I bought this Jon boat for that exact reason...

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3686

Certainly not the Cadillac of Jon Boats, but with a 15 HP on it she moves pretty good, it is easy to move around by yourself, comes with a decent warranty, and has plenty of room to fish / duck hunt out of. Cost is around $750. Tough to beat for the price.

Post Your Comment