Small 4 Stroke Motor

2/9/16 @ 9:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10
I am considering purchasing a small 4 stroke motor. The main thing I would use this motor for would be for portaging. Currently we have always used a old 2 stroke motor for this and it has worked fine. On a regular basis This motor would be taken off the back of the boat and either carried my hand though the bush or bounced around on the back of a atv or in the back of the truck. I have read that you can lay a 4 stroke on its side but it has to be laid down a certain way and some even recommend draining the oil. I was curious if anyone out there is putting a small 4 stroke motor through this type of use and it so have you had issues. I am think of getting something in the 6-8 horse power range.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
2/11/16 @ 4:47 PM
genek.
genek.
USER since 8/20/04
I have a yamaha 6hp 1cylinder portable and you can lay it down 3 different ways. easiest is on the tiller handle side . the only way you cant lay it is with the prop facing down to surface. if I remember I think it weights 61-62lbs I always remove it when trailering and put it laying in a pickup truck bed. I use mine a as kicker motor.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 9:58 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
Don't know about the laying on its side issue. I can tell you I have a 2002 Mercury 9.9 that I use as a trolling motor on my boat. It is still running strong and has over 5000 hours on it. Change the lower unit oil, oil and filter and plugs each year and which ever brand you pick should last you a long time. I believe most of the smaller motors are basically the same. Lots of people I know run tohatsu and have good luck with them.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 6:11 AM
Canada Bound
Canada Bound
USER since 2/19/10
Your feedback was helpfull I am looking at a tohatsu that weighs 57 pounds. I was curious if guys out there are carrying these around or hauling them on there side and having issues, so thank you!

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 5:29 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I had a 6 hp Nissian (which is the same motor as a Tohatsu, or Mercury) it weighted 48 lbs. YES you have to lay it on one side versus the other but I didn't find it a big deal. When we portaged with it I would balance it over my shoulder and supported it by holding the lower unit. We used to portage in 1.5 miles to a lake and it wasn't a big deal at all.

I hope this answers you question.

Post Your Comment
2/9/16 @ 10:37 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I doubt anybody is going to enjoy carrying a motor that size by hand. Maybe a outboard cart of some kind would work. Or perhaps put some type of bracket on your atv rack so you could attach it to the back of your atv just as you would a boat. I'm just basing this off of mercury but I believe the 8 horse is close to 90lbs.

Post Your Comment