Skiing with a pontoon? motor size?

3/31/16 @ 11:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14
Looking to upgrade our pontoon to a newer model. I would like the new pontoon to be able to pull a skier, wakeboarder etc. Just curious if anyone has a pontoon and pulls skiers and what hp motor they are running. I'm thinking 115hp but not sure if I could get by with the 90hp. I know there's a lot of variables here, just looking for general idea
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/5/16 @ 5:58 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I know that this is not about your wants but i would defiantly go with the biggest motor you can afford. I would also consider a triple toon pontoon. We have lots of pontoons that have crazy horsepower here at the lake. It is not common to see twin 250 hp mounted and just the other day I saw a 400hp Mercury Racing mounted up ready to go. This guy also has a boat that has a sticker on it that has a sticker on it that they give that says 212MPH. Fast boat guy. I don't think you need that stuff but always HP to the max. It will save wear and tear on the motor and get you better performance on the boat.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
4/3/16 @ 3:30 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Take a peek at a few glass deck boats, basically a pontoon boat on a glass frame - they handle completely different and push through the water a bit easier.

Something to consider...

Post Your Comment
4/2/16 @ 5:51 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Friend owns a 21 or 22' Sylvan I believe with a 115hp that we've tubed behind and it was plenty fast. Pretty sure they've pulled skiers too.

The thing with pontoons is that no matter how big your motor is, once you pile on 10-12 people you won't be skiing no matter what.

Post Your Comment
4/2/16 @ 4:21 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
Might as well go big! On the Wi.river I've seen them with 200,250 Wink

Post Your Comment
4/1/16 @ 1:43 PM
GoldenRules
GoldenRules
USER since 10/29/13
More info is need to give you good advice/opinions. Who is going to be skiing and wakeboarding (adults or kids)? Are we talking about beginners skiing on 2 or slalom skiing. How many people are going to be in the pontoon when you are doing these water sports activities? Are you going to be towing watersports every weekend or just once or twice a summer?

Post Your Comment
3/31/16 @ 1:08 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
My buddy has a 24? foot newer Lowe pontoon with a 115hp Evinrude E-tech. It's a big boat and I believe that motor is the max hp rating. It gets out of the hole pretty quickly but top speed is only in the 22-27 mph range depending on how much gear is in the boat. I'm not sure if that will be enough to pull a skier as we don't use the boat for that.

Post Your Comment