Service Scheduling at Boat Dealers

6/22/15 @ 5:16 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mingus
mingus
USER since 8/9/02
When I have called different boat dealers for service, they all said that they would not take appointments. Their policy is “first come, first serve”-no appointments. It sounds fair. However, you can end up leaving your boat there for several weeks sitting out in the rain until they get around to working on it. When I have had issues with my boat, I could still use my trolling motor or my boat motor on low speed to get around the lake. If I was given a date to “bring it in and leave it for three days”, I would still have use of my boat for a few weeks during the nicer summer weather. Is this “first come” practice something that is convenient for the dealers or is there a reason for it? Auto mechanics always schedule appointments and most often get the work done the same day.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
6/25/15 @ 2:12 PM
toyman2k
toyman2k
USER since 5/15/02
I always have an appointment never ever just drop and run as you said it would sit outside for days maybe weeks. find a different dealer. If you want a reliable person and are in the milwaukee / waukesha area message me. I will supply the info.

toyman2k

Post Your Comment
6/25/15 @ 2:09 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
Ulbian.....Your last paragraph in your reply makes very good sense to me. It makes your position, or method very clear.

I do however, still stand by my first assessment of your first post. I could be right, or I could be wrong. It is just my interpretation, or opinion of how I read it.

I too pay for my repairs by cash, or check. I do not agree with the part of paying cash to help your mechanic in avoiding paying taxes. When I worked I had to pay income tax for every dollar that I earned. Why would I want to help another person in avoiding to do the same?

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 9:04 PM
Horble
Horble
USER since 4/11/08
I was in the marine biz for 16 years, and we took the boats in for service as they came. The few exceptions would be something that was pre-diagnosed (starter, solenoid, bilge pump, etc) and that we knew parts had to be ordered. And a good cash paying customer that we were familiar with did get some preference. We saw all types... exactly what Ulbian was saying. We did get some bad checks. We did get strung along on bill paying (I need my boat now and will pay you x$ a month). So, cash is king, and it applies to most types of business not just marine.

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 3:36 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I apologize for your inability to interpret my comments earlier. I will attempt to do better this time around.

I also apologize for the assumption you made that I am sitting on a pile of cash. That is not the case. There have been situations where I have had to leave my boat sit before taking it in for service just to accumulate enough funds to cover a bill. I have made a personal choice to pay in cash whenever possible because it has allowed me to save quite a few bucks in the long run and has resulted in timely and quality service.

In regards to your most recent message...

"Put yourself in the mechanics position. A guy walks in to get his boat fixed, who he has done work for before......"

This isn't egomania in play. It's understanding that paying for things in cash gets results and can be highly beneficial for the business and the customer. That's not an overactive ego, that's smart consumerism. Cash in hand that doesn't have to run through a cash register can be "hidden" so to speak for tax purposes. There's no paper trail, no credit card charges, etc. I want the small businesses to survive so if my preferred way of paying is easier on them then hooray! Prior to paying before the work was completed we had a conversation about how much the repairs would run and a breakdown of parts and labor. I told him I would be willing to drop some cash off so he wasn't left hanging with a parts bill and he was ecstatic. That's what I did. He didn't have to front the money on the parts so he didn't have that hanging over him. Again, we're talking about a true small business here, not some boatyard with hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory sitting on a lot.

"Who goes into a dealership to get their boat fixed and then strings the dealer along when it's done?"

You'd be surprised. People will drop their stuff off underestimating what repair costs will be. The repair shop has to front the money for parts and they don't recoup those expenditures until the customer comes in and pays in full. They won't pick their stuff up until it's paid in full and will be bouncing checks or leave it there long after it is repaired. In the meantime for the true small businesses this is not a favorable situation to be in. You're on the hook trying to pay your own bills to keep the lights on and employees paid when some joker owes you a pile of money and won't come in and pay it.

So...my suggestion here is to try and do cash transactions with these true small businesses. Good things will happen. They'll be happy for less hassles and you'll be happy because service is quicker. This is not some sort of ego-maniacal concept I've been employing...unless for some odd reason your understanding of "egomania" is doing things that benefits a small business and the consumer. It simply isn't. People should try paying for goods and services from small mom and pop type places in cash. If you are a familiar face who pays their bills this way on time you might be stunned at how big the benefits are.

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 3:16 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Someone who pays with $100 bills vs CC or check makes him arrogant or Rich? To me when someone pays like that makes them a damn good customer. Have any idea how many mechanics get paid with bad checks? If a mechanic knows a customer won't give them a headache they get top service.

Ulbians method works for me with plumbers and electricians and whole lot of other service.

I've seen lot of reading between the lines on this site. This is right up there.

I could understand if he said he pays the guy $100 bills just to put him in front of the line. That is far from the case.

Edited on 6/24/15 3:26 PM
Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 3:08 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
I re-read his post and still came away with the same feeling. To me it is just dripping with arrogance and egomania. Sorry if some don't agree, but that is just what I perceive.

Put yourself in the mechanics position. A guy walks in to get his boat fixed, who he has done work for before. You immediately stop working on the customers boat that you are presently working on and start on his. All of this because, last time you fixed his boat, he came in with a stack of $100 bills and paid you on the spot. He even came in and paid for the parts before the job was done, just so you didn't have to carry the monetary burden until tomorrow.

Who goes into a dealership to get their boat fixed and then strings the dealer along when it's done?

Who doesn't pay for the repairs before removing their boats from the dealers property?

I thank the mechanic when a job is well done. I have also bought the shop workers lunch when they went above and beyond.

I also do my best to have my boat serviced where I bought it. If not, I give them all my business for parts and supplies regardless of their pricing.

In short, I give them my business and let them earn a living.

Edited on 6/24/15 3:10 PM
Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 8:23 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Boy I here you,car dealers and repair shops take opointments why can't boat dealers.I ended up having a dealer that I did not buy my boat from repair my engine be cause they would take opointments,so much more perfesional.So you know where my next boat or motor is going to be bought from.

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 7:36 AM
DuckSlayin88
DuckSlayin88
USER since 9/13/11
Tuffy - How do you get that from Ulbian's post? He has to pay for his boat repair at some point, so he is doing it with cash and upfront instead of waiting to the end. To me it shows he is serious about wanting his boat back ASAP.

Post Your Comment
6/23/15 @ 1:51 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I didn't get that at all. He gave us his method of getting better service from his marine mechanic. Operating that way got him better results. He was just sharing his experience. Do YOU have a method that works for you? That is how the site is supposed to work. Someone brings up a problem and somebody else discloses what they do to solve the issue. His solution may not work for everybody but it works for him. Mrt.

Edited on 6/23/15 3:33 PM
Post Your Comment
6/23/15 @ 12:17 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
Ulbian............I read your post and concluded that the narrative is..........You got the bucks, or cash and you want us to know it. Message received!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts