SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Road Salt Before Storing My Boat?

11/9/18 @ 10:19 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I could not get my boat winterized before this snowfall. I usually wait until the last minute because there have been years that I shoot my buck early and then fish. I can get it winterized next week. Then I will be taking the boat to the shed.   I am sure that there will be salt on the highways. I am wondering if I should hose down the trailer before putting it away or if spraying it off would just add moisture and not get rid of much of the salt anyway? I thought about backing the rig into a landing for a couple of minutes but none are all that close to the shed anyway.  Thanks. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
11/18/18 @ 9:23 AM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I definitely would take the time to try to get the salt off. We fish year around in our neck of the woods and the worse the weather the better the fishing. I know that we have lots of salt on the roads at times but have really never considered it being a problem before. It has opened my eyes to a potential problem thanks for this post. I don't trailer my boat much but I have friends that do. My current boat I have has a Gator Hyde coating that resists rock trips and I bet salt too. 

Just bring that boat to Central Missouri and use it all winter.  

11/15/18 @ 9:59 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Today is the day.. It is supposed to be almost 40. My plan is to stop at the car wash in town and and hose it down. I will then drive the back roads another 5 miles to the shed. I think I am going to crawl under the trailer and spray it down with some wd -40. That is about all I can do. Should be good enough. Thanks for the input guys. Mrt.

11/14/18 @ 7:18 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

One thing to consider... I don't think every community puts down the exact same kind of salt, some may be better or worse for boat, trailer,  etc... might want to be proactive,  and wash it off unless you know what's been sprayed onto your rig

11/13/18 @ 8:21 PM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

Rinse it off asap...drove mine to Missouri last spring in the snow and by the time I got back and washed it all galvanized metal was pitted and turning colors.

11/12/18 @ 3:31 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Last year I waited too long and drove up to the cabin to put it away after our first major snowfall. It was covered in brown slush and when that went away my black boat was white. It was that way for couple months till I was back up on a day when it was in the 40's and was able to spray it down. I never noticed any harm to the boat or trailer.  

11/9/18 @ 9:48 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I'm in the same boat!  I don't put my boat into storage until the last minute.

Tomorrow is the big day - and I'll have to hose her down before putting her down for her 4 month nap!

11/9/18 @ 10:30 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
User since 10/14/03
I'd at least rinse it off if salt is an issue.  My boat gets used until ice up and I will rinse it down at home each time if need be, salt is bad news.  Find a DIY carwash nearby your storage facility & hose it down & dry off there before storage.  Works great if you can do it on a nicer day too.  
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE