Replacing Bunks on Boat Lift - Wood Treated or Not

4/19/15 @ 5:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Duffin
Duffin
USER since 12/16/10
Is pressure treated lumber required or recommended for bunk replacement on lifts and trailers? Ho about carpet, any recommendations?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
4/30/15 @ 9:04 PM
popi
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
I used pressure treated and then over the top of it put a plastic 'deck' board.I drilled the holes in the deck board but slotted them and counter sunk them.That way the boards can grow and shrink with the temperature and the counter sink was so I could use carriage heads and have them below the surface.On my trailer I have galvanized channel iron covered with HDPE and similar counter sunk holes.My 2 cents.Sorry about the upside down pic.

Edited on 4/30/15 9:06 PM
Post Your Comment
4/23/15 @ 7:27 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
My old boat had best of both worlds, pressure treated bunks with UHMW over the top of them, no carpet. UHMW is what the Breweries use to cover the side rails of can conveyors. Look at a can of beer, see many marks on it? First time I launched the boat with this set-up I was glade I was over water, slide right off on me. Also, metal does not contact the wood. You can get UHMW by the 4'x8' sheet or cut to size at a local plastics supplier. Don't use full 8' strips, cut them up a little, product can grow if left in contact with too much water. I think I cut mine in 2' strips with 1/2" gap. Someone on here posted that UHMW was hard on rivets, Don't know, have had them on for over 10 years and never seen a problem. Ches.

Edited on 4/23/15 7:29 AM
Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 9:10 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
Two years ago I installed bunkEnds to my boat trailer . The Ends work great it saves the carpet big time.http://www.cabelas.com/product/E-Z-Slide-Bunk-Enders/738028.uts

Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 10:53 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
I've used treated lumber a few times with no problems on my aluminum hull.

I did skimp on the carpet last time....Big mistake! Buy the right stuff for bunk boards.

I am definitely checking out those Ultimate Bunk Boards.

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 11:35 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have ultimate bunk boards too....they are pretty sweet

Post Your Comment
4/20/15 @ 10:02 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
You should check out the Ultimate Trailer Bunk Boards. Replace them once and forget about ever doing it again. no I don't sell 'em!

Replacement Bunks

4/19/15 @ 8:31 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i used treated lumber on my boat i just simply rubberized coated wherever wood came in contact with aluminum

Post Your Comment
4/19/15 @ 7:22 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
Pressure treated wood contains copper, which leads to the corrosion of aluminum. Definitely steer clear of it.

Post Your Comment
4/19/15 @ 7:12 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I would stay away from using treated lumber. Treated wood reacts to some metals. As far as carpet Fleet Farm sells a carpet with a rubber back that woks well and use stainless steel staples. I have redone my boat trailer along with others this way. You should Google how. Treated lumber reacts with a boat.

Post Your Comment