MORE
Boats & Motors

Ranger Aluminum VS1682

1/16/19 @ 1:15 PM
INITIAL POST
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

Hello All,

I am looking at buying the above Ranger Deep V.  I know the Fiberglass Rangers are top shelf but would like opinions on their Aluminum line.  Also need to decide between a Yamaha or a Mercury 115 four stroke.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Capt. Eye Catcher

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
4/12/19 @ 3:01 PM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

Good Afternoon,

Update on the Ranger VS 1682.  I ended up going with a 2018 Walk Through Ranger VS 1682.  So far I am very happy.  The fit and Finish are excellent.  I did get a 115 horse four stroke Mercury Pro XS.  First time I started her up I had to check the tach to see if it was running very quiet.  During the break in I was able to get the boat with 4 adults and a full tank of gas up to 44MPH which is faster than I will ever need to go.  Trailer is awesome and runs behind the truck perfect.

Now I just have to spend some time training on the new Minn Kota and Lowrance fish finder and I will be all set.  That is next weekends job.

Thanks to all on this thread who helped and offered their opinion. 

Rip Some Lips,

Captain Eye Catcher

1/18/19 @ 4:15 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

It’s hard to say because I traded in my old one but Jalenskys had a 165 classic,50 Yamaha and trailer for under 16000.  I believe. I checked prices at the time and he was about 1700$ cheaper than cabelas for the same rig.     CARPIO 

1/18/19 @ 2:50 PM
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11

What did you pay for your alumacraft?  Im trying to sell my 2013 with a 90 merc 4 stroke completely loaded. with low hours. thanks

1/18/19 @ 2:21 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I had a 2009 merc 50 4stroke on  16’ smoker craft.It was a dog getting up on plane.Also the impellers only lasted 2 yrs. I traded it in for a 2015 Yamaha 50 4 stroke on a 165 alumicraft. What an improvement! No problem getting up on plane but it lacked a little power.I am now waiting for my new 165 Alumicraft with an Evinrude 60 so we’ll see how that goes.  I’m also done buying boats!   Lol.  CARPIO 

1/18/19 @ 11:27 AM
Duckmusky
Duckmusky
User since 12/31/11
I PMed u :)
1/18/19 @ 9:31 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Engine wise, I run Mercury.  Had a Yahama once.  I like them both, but I did really like that Yahama.  If/when my Merc needs to be replaced, I'd have no issue repowering with a new Merc.  Mine is a 2011.  I think, though, Mercs are known to be easier to work on.  And...it's a little thing, but I like that the Merc plant is right there in Fondy.  But, that's just me.

Both are nice engines.  

1/17/19 @ 10:38 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I like the way mercury handles the mess of dripping oil, obviously engineers that have to work on their own motors.... cool 

1/17/19 @ 2:15 PM
RistoRap
User since 8/31/01

Oil change on Merc four strokes is pretty easy. Here's a link to a video by Mercury rather then me trying to explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DlXFotIfLo

1/17/19 @ 9:51 AM
nihsif
nihsif

all my mercs (3) were 2 stroke... simple and easy maint

my current is a Yamaha, and changing the oil is a pita, had to devise a way to catch the drippings, because on mine, the oil filter sits horizotally, otherwise, maint is also easy

1/17/19 @ 9:22 AM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

Thank you for the thoughts on this.  I do most of the routine Maintenance stuff on my motors.  Any negatives with changing oil and such on Yamahas or Mercs?

Thanks again,

Capt E

Eye Catcher

1/16/19 @ 8:25 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I was told by a Ranger rep. that they are made in a different plant.Yamaha.

1/16/19 @ 7:41 PM
nihsif
nihsif

Vegas makes a point to consider,  

I did  a fair amount of resaerch on reviews, or problems with this boat  and wasn't able to find any negative reviews or articles/links... 

So your best review would be to talk to an owner 

Merc and Yamaha are both great motors,  I've owned both brands and never had an issue 

1/16/19 @ 4:17 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

They have had a problem with welds on the transom.They do look nice though.

1/16/19 @ 2:29 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Just my opinion here...as a Ranger 619VS owner....

I'd not by aluminum from them.  Just like I wouldn't buy a glass Lund.  I can't help but feel that you would be paying extra for that Ranger logo on an aluminum boat that may not be as good as other aluminum boat manufacturers.

If you want aluminum, I'd look at those manufacturers that have been doing it longer.  Lund.  Crestliner...etc.

And...I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about aluminum boats anymore.  

1/16/19 @ 2:26 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
From what I've read/ heard about the new Ranger aluminums is they are basically a nicer Tracker. I've heard they are made at the same plant now since Ranger and Tracker belong to the same owners. I've also heard they had some problems with their transoms. Nothing against Tracker boats, I used to own one. Never had problems but they don't hold their resale value as well and the fit/ finish wasn't as good as other boats.

As far as the Merc/ Yamaha... you can't go wrong with either. I would probably go with a Yamaha based on their reputation of reliability.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE