PROBLEM WITH TRAILER LIGHTS

5/11/16 @ 8:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Can't Catch a walleye!
Can't Catch a walleye!
USER since 1/23/15

We have had a problem with our lights and i was wondering if anybody had any input. We have just a  generic shorelander trailer for out 16.5' lund tiller. Our lights always worked good until a week ago when one when out, and then the other, and then the other runner lights. Finding they were all corroded we replaced the full units. Currently all the lights work and light up but when you turn on a blinker, all 4 flash like hazard lights. We have figured out that it isnt a problem with the truck by using a tester and all fuses are in good condition. Anybody know what to do? Must have been when  we rewired. Thanks!! Have a good day!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
5/29/16 @ 10:29 AM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01

GRANDAD I did the same thing except I used shielded two 25 ft extension cords which was cheaper than buying a 100' of shielded wire, cutting the ends off and just using the wire.

Post Your Comment
5/28/16 @ 5:15 PM
GRANDAD
GRANDAD
USER since 6/1/09

I have a Lund on a Shorelander trailer and my lights would act up occasionally blowing a fuse in my Truck!I attached long cord to each of the trailer lite wires and pulled them out to the front! Turns out the skilled? Assemblers at  Shorelander striped chunks of insulation off the wire when they pulled it in,the bare wire would bounce around and short out!I spliced in new wire and used the cord to pull the wire back in place to the tail lights,problem solved!Grandad

Post Your Comment
5/28/16 @ 4:27 PM
Big Yonsson
Big Yonsson
USER since 9/29/03

After checking the power. make sure the bulbs are in right. The guy I bought boat from put them in wrong.

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 1:44 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03

Luvh20, As I stated earlier do a test on the trailer with a separated battery or have someone with known working truck connect to your trailer, also could connect your truck to a known working boat trailer... If you have a Toyota there is a trailer light module often used that goes bad that just snaps in line with the lighting. My buddy is on his 3rd one and they cost like $50 at a trailer repair place. I told him if it goes again, I will hardwire 1 in for him and get rid of the module...

Post Your Comment
5/18/16 @ 10:26 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06

Millions of years ago, man invented the wheel.  The next day, he built himself a trailer, and he's been trying to get the lights to work ever since.

Post Your Comment
5/16/16 @ 11:39 AM
IEATFISH
IEATFISH
USER since 2/21/09

I had a trailer that was a kit i put together that developed lighting issues. Ended up finding the problem was where the trailer was bolted together wasn't grounded anymore between each section. To resolve problem i had to attach a ground jumper wire between sections

Post Your Comment
5/16/16 @ 7:44 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14

I'm not starting a new thread because they all have the same answer......BAD GROUND, BAD GROUND, BAD GROUND...

I know I have a bad ground also. I think mine happens to be in my truck.

All trailer lights work fine during the day. Problem is when my headlights turn on that I lose trailer brake lights and directionals go goofy.  Trailer taillights work fine as long as I don't touch the brake pedal or blinkers.

I did a visual inspection at the trailer plug on my Silverado and everything looks normal.

Anyone know where to start? Do you think it could still be a bad ground on the trailer?

Post Your Comment
5/13/16 @ 8:59 AM
Can't Catch a walleye!
Can't Catch a walleye!
USER since 1/23/15

Thanks alot guys!!! And yes we did replace the plug on the trailer. Only our second season with this boat so who knows how long ago things were rewired. A big help for sure!!!

Post Your Comment
5/12/16 @ 9:02 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

All good points. If you started getting corrosion at all the connection points, question is, " How old is the wiring system on this trailer?" I re-wire entire trailer every 4/5 years. Doesn't have to be done, but when I hit the road, I am confident about my lighting system. LED's are the way to go, but they are not indestructable either. Agree with the first poster on Solder and Shrink wrap for EVERY connection. Sometimes the secret is Pre-Maintenance/repair for a system that is constantly being put under water, then, water, setting up in certain areas you don't/or can't identify. It's always Maintenance.

Post Your Comment
5/12/16 @ 7:09 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15

Lights can be a pain in the butt. Most of the time it is the ground and can cause all kinds of things to happen.  It always seems to happen when you are ready to leave for a trip. LED is definitely the way to go now.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts