PROBLEM WITH TRAILER LIGHTS

5/11/16 @ 8:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Can't Catch a walleye!
Can't Catch a walleye!
USER since 1/23/15

We have had a problem with our lights and i was wondering if anybody had any input. We have just a  generic shorelander trailer for out 16.5' lund tiller. Our lights always worked good until a week ago when one when out, and then the other, and then the other runner lights. Finding they were all corroded we replaced the full units. Currently all the lights work and light up but when you turn on a blinker, all 4 flash like hazard lights. We have figured out that it isnt a problem with the truck by using a tester and all fuses are in good condition. Anybody know what to do? Must have been when  we rewired. Thanks!! Have a good day!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts
6/14/18 @ 5:05 PM
RML
RML
USER since 4/12/04

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.   Problem has been solved.   I have a swing-a-way tongue and the ground was on the front part of the swing.   Corrosion has built up where the swing connects to the trailer so the ground was poor.   That is why the safety cables that were mounted to the trailer completed the ground.  All I had to was move where the ground was connected to the trailer from the swing arm to the main trailer.

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 3:20 PM
Cap'n
Cap'n
USER since 2/19/05

Just went through this with my shorelander. Dealer said common Shorelander problem. Inside the frame where the cross beam is welded cases a sharp spot in the frame. Wires vibrate over the years and wears a hole in the coating. Pulled my old wires and it was a 16th of an inch spot where coating was worn off. Causing my right blinker not to work and the 10 amp fuse to blow on the truck. Replaced wires. Problem solved. Til next time.

Cappy

Post Your Comment
6/14/18 @ 3:08 PM
RML
RML
USER since 4/12/04

Still having the same problem and looking for help.   

I brought the boat/trailer to a local repair shop and they suggested that I replace the 5 Flat trailer connector on the trailer.  They also thought that the issue was that that ground connection in the plug was in bad shape.

The new connector has led indicators that light if the connection is good.  The ground led light is red so I believe that the ground is good between the boat and trailer.  

Also as a second test I took the old connector and tested the connector and verified that it was working.   Then I ran two wires from the connector to the boat.  One wire ground to ground and the other for the car lights to trailer lights.   Again the boat lights would not light. 

So right now I do not think that the problem is the ground???

As stated before I can get the lights to work if the car-trailer plugs are connected and I put the trailer on the ball or connect that trailer safety cables.   Not certain why that completes the circuit?

Does anyone have any other ideas for me to check?

RML

Post Your Comment
5/21/18 @ 8:02 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Sounds like a bad ground which sometimes cab be difficult to find.

Post Your Comment
5/20/18 @ 9:13 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER since 1/11/02

My experience is a ground issue first

Post Your Comment
5/15/18 @ 1:26 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

On a 4 wire plug green is right blinker, yellow is left blinker and brown is running light. White is your ground wire. You either have a ground problem or somehow got your running lights connected to your turn signal lights. On a 5 wire the 5th, I think it's blue, would be the surge break override. The override works off your reverse lights.

Post Your Comment
5/10/18 @ 11:30 AM
fishnhunt14
fishnhunt14
USER since 4/17/07
Check the ground, that's the first thing I always do.  Check the plugs too, clean them and rough them up a little bit.

I hate dealing with trailer lights, they never seem to work lol

Post Your Comment
5/1/18 @ 12:10 AM
PIPETE
PIPETE
USER since 5/21/15

You have a bad ground. 

Post Your Comment
4/28/18 @ 2:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

in some of my older rigs the connection of trailer to hitch was the ground... not sure if that was by design... never tried checking lights without having trailer on hitch, so don't know if that would work for me either with current rig...

don't know if this helps, just my experience 

Post Your Comment
4/28/18 @ 2:10 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03

Depends how the trailer is wired. Some get power to the light and then other wire to the trailer frame. This would explain ground with trailer to ball. I would check 1st part of trailer harness that the ground hasn't broken or rusted off the trailer frame.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 28 Posts