Precision On-Board Chargers

4/18/16 @ 10:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Nivek
Nivek
USER since 2/10/15
Hi, Has anybody had experience with Minn Kota's Precision On-Board Chargers? I am thinking about purchasing one (MK 212PC) to mount under the steering console to charge the Minn Kota Batteries. And, do these chargers stay connected to the batteries while the Minn Kota is in use? Thanks for any feedback!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
4/25/16 @ 7:17 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
If your batteries are hooked up + to + and - to -, I think that is called Parcells meaning one big w volt battery, then I would just use a 1 bank charger. May take a bit longer tocharge, but will work.

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 3:07 PM
Nivek
Nivek
USER since 2/10/15
I informed Minn Kota that I purchased a 2 bank charger and have two 12v batteries connected in parallel.

I did not present the question of using a 1 bank charger on the two 12v batteries connected in parallel.

Thanks....

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 2:44 PM
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04
So does that mean you need a two bank charger for two batteries hooked up parallel? Is that correct

Post Your Comment
4/22/16 @ 1:14 PM
Nivek
Nivek
USER since 2/10/15
Hi,

Thank you for the replies....much appreciated. I contact Minn Kota and received the following message:

2 bank charger each bank connected to separate 12v battery Thank you, Jessica

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 9:38 AM
icefish111
icefish111
USER since 10/28/11
Yes it would also work with a 1 bank charger connecting to + on 1 battery and - on the other. Or you can connect them to the + and - terminals on just 1 battery. It really doesn't make a difference. They're connected together so your connecting to the exact same thing regardless. Think of it as 1 big battery with 2 sets of terminals, like a dual post battery. It makes no difference as long as + goes to + and - goes to -. I also agree now thinking about it that a 2 bank would be bad since they are digitally controlled and the charger would be "confused" at trying to distinguish each bank separately.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 6:38 AM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14
I believe that if batteries are in parallel the charging leads should be connected + to + on one battery, and - to - one the other, treating it as one big battery.

Post Your Comment
4/21/16 @ 6:06 AM
Don Varese
Don Varese
USER since 6/20/01
Since you have your batteries hooked in parallel, you would only need a one bank charger. You might want to call minkota on this but hooking up 2 banks to batteries hooked in parallel would be bad because you just connected the outputs of the charger in parallel. The charger would not be able to distinguish between the 2 batteries unless there was a high current switch between them so that the charger could charge them independently.

Post Your Comment
4/20/16 @ 6:23 PM
icefish111
icefish111
USER since 10/28/11
If your batteries are hooked in parallel, (+ to + and - to -) you essentially just have 1 big 12v battery. In this case you could get away with the 110pc single bank charger and just hook the leads to one of the batteries and they both will charge evenly. It's smaller, a little cheaper, and basically the same thing you would be doing with the 2 bank hooking up 2 sets of leads. The only difference is that the single bank is 10 amps vs 12 on the 2 bank. That's really not enough to see any noticeable difference in charging time.

Post Your Comment
4/20/16 @ 5:42 PM
Nivek
Nivek
USER since 2/10/15
Thanks much for the feedback. Does your two bank unit have two leads (one positive and one negative) or four leads (two positive and two negative) exiting the unit? If there are four leads, how do you connect to the batteries? I have two 12v batteries connected in parallel.

Post Your Comment
4/19/16 @ 12:05 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
I have a MK 220 I had it since 2005 It works great and yes it stays hooked up. Every time after fishing the charger gets plugged in. In the winter I just plug the charger inn once a month for a day. I think the key for long life is mount the charger in a dry place that has plenty of ventilation and not allot shock from rough water...

Edited on 4/25/16 4:13 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts