Power trim issue

6/8/15 @ 12:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JKenny
JKenny
USER since 6/25/10
Hey guys, I got a 2011 90 HP Mercury Outboard motor and the power trim unit appears to have an issue sustaining pressure. When the motor is trimmed full all the way up the pressure will drop over a matter of 20 minutes and set the motor all the way to the full trim down position. If the boat is in the water and running it will trim down in seconds. I have heard that it could be seals or the piston, but how would I go about finding out which one it is, with out taking it in for big $$$? Im hoping there is a simple fix.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
6/23/15 @ 7:03 AM
JKenny
JKenny
USER since 6/25/10
I appreciate the feed back fella's. I just replaced the power trim fluid and bled the air out and the trim began to operate as normal. I had my boat out all day Sunday with no issues, Thanks Again for talking me out of spending money!

Post Your Comment
6/14/15 @ 10:13 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I think you are low on fluid myself. Check all connections and look for a leak. Sometimes they just look wet or if you trailer in a dusty area it might have a little dust build up. It might be as simple as tighting a fitting. I had a boat that just leaked a drop here and there and about once a year I had to add a little.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
6/14/15 @ 7:42 AM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
check the fluid level its easy to do. raise motor full up unscrew yellow plug. fluid should be right there a little may spill out. if not add some till it just starts to overflow. put the plug back and cycle the trim a few times to bleed air out.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 7:04 PM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
Cross your fingers, and try this. There is a pressure release screw on the side of your trim. It's up by the top, and there is a hole in the mount housing to access the screw with a screw driver. This can be used to lower or raise the motor if you loose power, or your trim quits. If someone has loosened that screw' and not tightened it back up, that could be the problem. If that's not the problem, then your piston seals may be bad. The gentleman that suggested using YouTube to rebuild your unit, is spot on. YouTube is a fantastic resource for the do-it yourself-er.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 11:57 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Go on YouTube I just helped a buddy rebuild the whole unit on his boat. Thought it was gonna be a nightmare. I told him to take it in but he was determined to do it himself. With YouTube and about 80 bucks in parts we replaced all seals and gaskets on a whole unit tilt trim pump ect . Took about 2 hrs start to finish it wasn't nearly as bad as one would think. FYI marina gave him a quote of 1200.00 bucks

Post Your Comment