Parking Brake, is it nessary to launch small boat.

4/2/15 @ 9:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Doc 880
Doc 880
USER since 8/20/08
I am caught between a rock and a hard place, my parking brake broke on my Jeep and the cost to fix it is $900. I don't have the cash to fix this right now and I am not sure if I could actually pay that much for an e brake repair. The question I have is do I really need a parking brake to launch my boat? My jeep in automatic transmission and my boat is a 16foot aluminum 40 h.p.. I usually fish once per week in the summer. I understand that it is safer to have a parking brake when launching the boat, but I am also wondering if there is anything else I could do to prevent my jeep from rolling into the water. Maybe put a block under the front tire or?? Any input you guys have? Thanks. DOC
Edited on 4/2/15 10:13 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
5/21/15 @ 3:11 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I do every time but my pickup has a manual tranny. Once I have the trailer in the water, I put it in 4 low, put it in gear, shut off the engine and put on the parking brake. I'm probably overkilling but I'm really paranoid about the truck going in and taking me with it as I'm standing behind it cranking up my boat. Pulling it out in 4 low and getting it to the top of ramp makes my 14 year old clutch happy too.

Post Your Comment
5/21/15 @ 1:32 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
that is what "park" is for

Post Your Comment
5/18/15 @ 8:57 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I ran into same situation and ripped mine off....have not fallen in lake yet.

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 9:27 PM
fishin-jim
fishin-jim
MEMBER since 10/18/07
It locks all 4 tires in gear so if the rear will slide the front won't.

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 7:55 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
Not a dumb question, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it activates the anti-slip concrete spikes in the tires.

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 8:19 AM
Doc 880
Doc 880
USER since 8/20/08
Good story and bad day for that guy! This is most likely a dumb question, what does putting the truck in 4 wheel drive do to prevent the wheels from sliding? thanks DOC

Post Your Comment
5/16/15 @ 9:46 PM
fishin-jim
fishin-jim
MEMBER since 10/18/07
I have an even better story for all of you setting your e brake. I was at Rainbow park in Oshkosh. Just pulled my lund up to the pier. Next to me a guy was putting his boat on the trailer with the rear tires just in the water. The slime on the ramp caused the truck to start slipping back into the water all the way to the top of the cap. It was the slime on the ramp that caused it to slide in, I always set my truck in 4wd when I park on a steep or slippery ramp.

Post Your Comment
5/2/15 @ 3:15 PM
Doc 880
Doc 880
USER since 8/20/08
Thanks for all the replies! I decided to forgo the $900 e brake repair and buy some 20 dollar heavy duty wheel chocks. Tight Lines DOC

Post Your Comment
4/9/15 @ 6:26 PM
slipery
slipery
USER since 1/30/11
Always use the E brake Put it on be for putting in park this will take the load off of the transmission . You must have heard the guy loading his boat and then putting in gear and hearing that loud bing that is a pin in your transmission it is not breaking but it is under strain . If you lock break first you should not hear that The load will be on your brakes and not on your tranny . PS I use my Ebrake all the time that keeps it loose less chance of freezing up frozen cables are the main reason they dont work .

Edited on 4/9/15 6:29 PM
Post Your Comment
4/5/15 @ 9:11 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
My suggestion to the OP is to get your E brake fixed. They don't call it an emergency for nothing. It's a case of broken +/or frozen/corroded cables, and should not cost anywhere near $900.

My story. I used to drive a 1980 International Scout manual 4-speed and haul around a 14' Lund tri-hull. Not a big boat but really heavy. Launching alone or with help was never a problem. Landing 99% of the time was OK too. I would leave it in 2nd gear, and also set the E brake on particularly steep launches. While I never put the truck in the water I had a close call once in Sturgeon Bay and another on Butternut up north. I found while cranking the boat up, the E brake was not holding from rolling backward, plus either the clutch slipped or it turned everything in 2nd gear. Funny part was I tried holding the truck from rolling backward with my shoulder while cranking the winch. Both times I only saved from a wet truck by releasing the winch and letting the boat back down. Luck was both times I also had someone to get inside and hold the regular brake down also. In hindsight a tire block should be the ticket.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts