Paint removal

3/16/16 @ 7:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
IEATFISH
IEATFISH
USER since 2/21/09
I inherited an older aluminum boat that i want to remove the old paint from. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does any one sandblast boats? I live in southeastern WI
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
3/18/16 @ 9:38 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
Ditto nice paint job

Post Your Comment
3/18/16 @ 5:35 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Dang fishin soon that boat looks great ...

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
3/18/16 @ 7:38 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Here is what my paint job looked like 10 years after the job.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 8:37 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
You could always get a wrap job! Or if the paint is still good in spots. Sand it shoot it with clear and have the Rat Rod Look. You never know that might start something new... Or if the paint is still stuck not peeling sand it shoot it with primer and paint.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 7:30 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I did my 17' boat back in 2005. Go to the auto parts store, get aircraft stripper. Apply it with a brush to your boat in the shade and wash off with water after letting it stand a little. You don't want it to dry, but you want to leave it on to do it's thing as long as possible. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection would be a good idea. My paint literally started to fall off, but your boat may be different. I thought it would take days but ended up taking less than 2 hours to do the outside. After stripping, wash it off. You will need an etching primer, mine was a yellow watery stuff. I then put a reg. primer on. I used automotive paint and did a base coat clear coat job. I sold the boat in 2015 and it still looked good. Good Luck. Ches.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 4:00 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
I did this to a boat I purchased many years ago. The guy who had it winterized it by painting it.

I used paint and varnish remover then. I didn't have a pressure washer but that would have helped. I didn't have a sand blaster then but with my experience with a sand blaster now I don't think I would use one as you could really mess up the boat.

I was a young kid then and it was my first boat so the time it took was a none factor but it did turn out very well.

Post Your Comment