on board charger question

6/11/15 @ 8:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Oxman
Oxman
USER since 5/4/08
Just installed on in my boat. I read the instructions and it said something about long term maintaing the charge and conditioning. Do you guys leave it plugged in all the time while not on the water or just long enough to charge and condition the batteries. Thanks in advance
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
6/26/15 @ 8:49 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
a word of caution, since I keep mine plugged in 24x7x365...before you do that

be sure that the charger you have has a maintenance mode, and that the manufacturer says it is designed to do so

http://promariner.com/products/waterproof-on-board-marine-battery-chargers/promar1-series/ ..."Mount it, plug it in and forget about it. The ProMar1 assortment is ProMariner’s Recreational Grade boating and fishing series, designed to deliver years of automatic charging and conditioning performance with moderate charge times featuring a built-in safe maintenance mode for long or short term storage. "

Post Your Comment
6/25/15 @ 10:09 PM
Captain Andy Platko
Rough House
USER since 6/19/15
I have a pro mariner 2 bank charger that has been on the boat since 2007. The only time I unplug it is when Im heading out to fish. Ive never had a problem whatsoever. Capt. Andy RHC

Rough-House Charter
(724) 664-3136
Post Your Comment
6/15/15 @ 8:12 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I plug my charges in the night I used the boat, that way they are ready to be used again he next day or next time. I also plug it in once a month in the winter. I think the maintenance mode that the documentation is referring to is the when the charger is plugged in, it does a complete charge to within 3-5% of being fully charged. Then the charger drops to more of a trickle charger to finish the battery off. Once the Battery is fully charged, it goes into maintenance or condition mode where the charger cycles on/off/on/off for a period of time to keep your batteries 100% charged.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 10:40 AM
Lundguy2
Lundguy2
USER since 4/22/15
I was told by the dealer to only plug in overnight before you head out, said if it doesn't switch over to maintain you will be buying new batteries.

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 8:26 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
24x7 ( 365 ) here... as mentioned, be sure to check water levels, I do a couple times a year

Edited on 6/12/15 8:26 AM
Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 8:00 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Mine stays plugged in when I am around. But if I am gone I unplug it to reduce the risk of a fire.

I do plug it in once in a while in the winter, but good batteries stay charged so it never seems to do much.

Have a good day. Smile

Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 6:20 AM
John Schultz
John Schultz
USER since 3/14/14
mine stays plugged in whenever the boat isn't on the water, including through the winter.

(608) 225-2395
Post Your Comment
6/12/15 @ 5:24 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
MEMBER since 5/20/05
stays plugged in 365. MinnKota 330D charger connected to two 31 series AGM monsters

Post Your Comment
6/11/15 @ 9:37 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
The only time I unplug mine is when I am pulling away from the dock. True I use my boat everyday usually twice and I am on the trolling motor all of the time. If I did not use my boat every day I would probably not leave it plugged in.I would simply plug it in the day before I went. I am lucky to get to fish year around I want to be ready to go at all times. Just check the water level in your batteries from time to time

Good Fishing!

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment