Older Sylvan boat

5/27/15 @ 9:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fish'nGSP
Fish'nGSP
USER since 4/23/15
I am looking to get a bigger boat for trolling than my little modified v that I currently have. I found a 1984 18 foot sylvan offshore with a 120hp Johnson on the back of it. I am wondering if these are good boats or not? Do they have any issues? I am aware of looking at the wood to make sure its not rotten on the floor or transom. Just not sure what else to look out for. I like the boat due to it being an outboard when most of the boats with the cuddy on the front are I/O motors. Just more comfortable with an outboard because its all I have owned so far. Thanks Any opinions are appreciated!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
10/2/15 @ 9:06 PM
floor guy
floor guy
USER since 4/13/15
Fish'n GSP: Glad to hear you like your Offshore. You might try a Dole fin or some hydro planer on the outboard to get more control on turns and a quicker time to get on step (Plane). As for the floor, when I replaced mine I went up to the cabin bulkhead because the cabin floor was in good shape. Don't know how yours is but getting the bulkhead out and back in isn't easy. Just a suggestion, I put marine vinyl instead of carpet because it's easier to keep clean if you're fishing a lot. Good luck on your Offshore.

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 6:15 AM
Fish'nGSP
Fish'nGSP
USER since 4/23/15
Floor guy, I ended up buying the offshore and I couldn't be happier.I have been to Green Bay trolling with it a number of times, fished Petenwell in it a lot and have also spent a few nights in it. Fiance also loves it for fishing. The motor is actually an 88 Johnson but it seems to be fairly decent on the gas its not bad to run around with. Im still tweaking my setup but have it pretty close to where I want it. I will too have to fix my floor in the future here a couple of spots are starting to get a little soft. Still trying to figure out weight distribution for when I am up on plane and running, doesn't turn real great and seems its either front heavy or too light in the front. Thats about my only complaints so far on the boat. The pros far outweigh the complaints. Also receive a lot of comments from people on it.

Post Your Comment
9/30/15 @ 12:44 AM
floor guy
floor guy
USER since 4/13/15
This is a pretty late response to your question about the 18'Sylvan Offshore but if you need an opinion I own a 84 Offshore 22' with a 140 IO and must say I absolutely LOVE this boat. When I got it 4 years ago I had to replace the floor and seats but the motor and hull were in good condition. I use this on Lake Michigan whenever I get a chance and it's a pleasure to be in especially if wind and waves kick up. It's especially nice to have the cuddy cabin for the ladies (potty break) and is great to store gear out of the weather. I don't know how economical an outboard would be but I can troll all day using about 5 -7 gal fuel depending how far I need to run before I set up to fish. All said it's a great boat for the Great Lakes, only wish it had a welded hull so I could trailer it up to my son in Alaska for Halibut and Salmon.

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 1:40 PM
Fish'nGSP
Fish'nGSP
USER since 4/23/15
Yes the motor is also a 1984.

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 6:44 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
The motor is also a 1984?