New Evinrude Outboards

6/13/14 @ 8:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Coyote Hunter
Coyote Hunter
USER since 2/1/12
This weekend Evinrude shows there new stuff. I can't wait to see it. Rumor has it the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee is open to the public Sunday from 10am - 4pm. Also there is a open to the public block party Saturday night on Old World Third Street in Milwaukee. It'll be interesting to see how the Black & Grey brands react.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
6/18/14 @ 12:56 PM
Coyote Hunter
Coyote Hunter
USER since 2/1/12
I just heard from an Engineering tech from Evinrude who spent the last four days on the water in Milwaukee. They had 20 or so boats on the water with the G2 motors. They swapped out one gearcase otherwise they ran great. I'm hearing 15 % increase in fuel economy and torque. BRP took over the market with their Rev snowmobile, Can Am atv's are top of the line and their Spyder, take one for a ride. BRP & Evinrude will become the benchmark for the black & grey to reach for.

Post Your Comment
6/17/14 @ 11:23 PM
wifishn
wifishn
USER since 6/18/01
I think if your are a E-Tec fan, you will love the new motors. I have had my E-Tec for 6 years and absolutely love it. I was recently thinking of upgrading to the HO series, I like the new gray. The motor will probably compete with the Verado. Since a lot of owners like the hole shot from the Verado, I think the G2 will be in the same market, maybe at a better price and more fuel efficient. I'm sure within a few years they will add smaller G2's engines to their line up. Awesome being able to customize your motor to match your paint scheme.

Post Your Comment
6/17/14 @ 7:03 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I've heard other people say the same thing RD... Seems to only be in the smaller HP. I have a buddy who had a 50 hp Etec who blew a cylinder out 1-month after he took it home from the dealer.

I have a 2010 150 HP Etec and absolutely love it. Hands down the best motor I have ever owned. It had a bad starter out of the box, but other than that has been flawless. I average about 150 hours per year. 700 hours later and the motor starts instantly and performs as good as the day I purchased it.

Great hole shot, fuel economy, and overall performance. I would buy another one without hesitation. Really a work horse and dependable motor, even when its 20*F, it starts up like you had just shut it off.

Edited on 6/17/14 7:04 PM
Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 11:31 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
The problem I have seen with etecs are for every good one there is a bad one. Just talk to the mechanics at marinas. I have a 90 with a jet on it thats sitting in my yard, biggests pos I have ever seen. Guy down the street has same motor, has like 700 hrs never had a prob not one. cant keep mine running to save my life has been back to factory 3 times under warranty and dozens of times to multiple shops. I will say the few times its worked it has been quiet and powerful but it has left me stranded for the last time. I will never ever own an etec again. Yamaha all the way for me. last Yamaha I sold in kona had over 6500 hrs when I sold it and guy is still using it today. Love Suzuki think they are best 4 stroke out there buy a wide margin but dealerships are few and far between. And I know alot of guys love there etecs but they just seem to twichy for me.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 2:30 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
these G2 motors for now start at 200hp... I could see a market for the skiers and other recreational boaters with the huge motors and over the top cladding

I have owned an e-tech, and it was truly quiet and had a noticeably bigger hole shot than a same sized Yamaha 4 stroke, talking 2011 models for both, on the same boat

I have a Yammie now, but would have no problem whatsoever hanging an E-Tec, if they made the same size motor...

loved both motor by the way

thanks for the link again HCW

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 1:55 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Ugly... What's the 9.9 look like? Zing!

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 8:26 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
As consumers it's nice to have the option of a 4-stroke or a 2-stroke and I doubt that one or the other will ever become extinct during our lifetimes.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 6:02 AM
6/16/14 @ 5:57 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
"The battle over owning a two stroke or four stroke outboard will rage on mostly likely forever."

This would appear to be a "Sony Betamax" type situation. (the better product selling less)

Evinrude already had videos on Youtube showing their motors dragging Merc and Yamaha 4 strokes under water in tug of war tests. And they had better hole shot, great mpg, no maintenance for two years, auto winterizing, and low emissions.

ETECs are arguably better, but aren't selling better. I think the improvements they made to already good tech are great, just am not a fan of the gaudy cowlings. In black they look fine.

Post Your Comment
6/15/14 @ 10:23 AM
sslayer
sslayer
USER since 6/9/06
The battle over owning a two stroke or four stroke outboard will rage on mostly likely forever. When taking and shelling out the money it takes to purchase a new outboard motor. Let's face it a guy just isn’t comfortable making a decision to spend X number of thousands of dollars and then wish he had chose something different than what he finally settled on. What the bottom line costs end up factor heavily into what you buy too. After all most fisherman aren’t maintaining a membership at a country club if you know what I mean.

http://www.marinebusiness.com.au/news/breaking-new-era-of-e-tec

http://www.boatingindustry.com/news/2014/06/14/brp-evinrude-reveals-new-outboard-engines/

The links I included to articles on the new Etec-G2 outboard motors states these new outboards have the best emissions in their class. These new Etec-G2 also have 15% better fuel efficiency with 20% more torque than comparable four stroke outboards. So these Etec-G2 outboards have more power, better fuel efficiency, a built in power steering design called "clean rigging", an internal 10 liter oil container, touch screen digital control panels and an automatic trim adjustment system. They also have a 500 hour no maintenance rating.

I’d say the bar has been raised.

Oh and there are 14 color choices available if you’re trying to match your boat color or accent it.

I owned a 2007 Etec 200 HO. I’ll say it was a very nice outboard. Very quiet at idle and WOT, no smelly exhaust, great on fuel consumption and a tremendous hole shot even with a 3 blade prop. One of the things I always enjoyed was when a fella would ask me when I was going to start my Etec. I’d just smile and say it’s running and back away from the dock.

The two stroke outboard motor has been around for over 100 years. Evinrude has cleaned up the emissions issues and gave their girl friend a choice of what dress to wear, not just black, silver or dark gray. Couple that with the maintenance cost differences and these new Etec G2 outboards are moving forward. But I'm sure these outboards are going to be pricy!

Good Luck Making Your Choice!

SS

Edited on 6/15/14 10:30 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts