New boat advice.

4/28/16 @ 9:46 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ESOX68
ESOX68
USER since 2/21/06
I am looking at the Aluma Craft trophy or Edge. I origanlly was looking at Lund Impact but after looking at the Aluma Craft 175 I was impressed.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
5/20/16 @ 8:24 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Nice looking boat, you will be happy with that.

Post Your Comment
5/19/16 @ 10:45 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
USER since 2/21/06

This is the one I picked

Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 12:20 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14

Take a serious look at the Evinrude E-tecs though. Hp for Hp a E-tec will out pull any 4 stroke.. Amazing torque. Just google/youtube E-tec vs. Merc or Yamaha the E-tec technology is great.  Also, much cheaper to maintain. 3 years NO maintenance ( 4 strokes require oil changes , filter changes, long initial breakin period, and once winterized you will not be able to take it out for a late season outing.  Just as clean burning and just as quiet.

I just bought my second E-tec

Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 12:19 PM
Cambridge
Cambridge
USER since 3/21/14

Take a serious look at the Evinrude E-tecs though. Hp for Hp a E-tec will out pull any 4 stroke.. Amazing torque. Just google/youtube E-tec vs. Merc or Yamaha the E-tec technology is great.  Also, much cheaper to maintain. 3 years NO maintenance ( 4 strokes require oil changes , filter changes, long initial breakin period, and once winterized you will not be able to take it out for a late season outing.  Just as clean burning and just as quiet.

I just bought my second E-tec

Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 8:43 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I do agree with getting a 4 stroke, you will not regret that decision.  However I also must say as I did earlier, max out the motor.  If you don't you will regret it, because you will either be buying a second motor down the road, or you will be trying to sell an underpowered boat on the used market.  Buys will not be as interested in an underpowered boat as one with at least 90% of rated HP.

Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 6:38 AM
redskin
redskin
USER since 1/28/02

I just bought a 185 Edge with a 150 e-tec.  Had a princecraft that I bought new and was now 20 yrs old with w 90 hp johnson.  I'm pleased with the boat so far compared to the old one.  One of the requirements was that it had to fit in a 7 ft tall garage door.  My prince craft had no problem with that, but a lot of new boats I looked at did - even the Trophy was too close to call.  Had it out on winnebago in 2 ft chop - impressed with the performance.  Have it rigged for Lake Michigan - used tracks this time compared to the old 2x6 across the back that I had with the old one. Did have to modify the rear casting platform slightly to accommodate the kicker.....

Post Your Comment
5/4/16 @ 11:55 AM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01

Are you able to negotiate pricing on new boats ? What's reasonable to expect if you can

Post Your Comment
5/3/16 @ 9:20 PM
MrEsox
MrEsox
USER since 9/4/05

Always max out the HP. If you don`t you are running at full stick to get anywhere. This is true if you are a 2 or 4 stroke fan. At max HP you are burning less fuel. You also have the power to get a boat full off in bad conditions. 

Post Your Comment
4/30/16 @ 7:40 AM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Maxing out the engine is a great idea, but it may be a matter of economics. My boat is rated for a 115. When I bought it it had a 60 on it. The boat/motor set-up fit the budget. The kids were small, I had no issue getting on plane and going 18 mph was plenty fast. As the kids got older, the boat got slower and slower and it got harder to get on plane. This last year I upgraded to a 90 4 stroke and I'm bombing around at 28 with 5 adults in it. Point is that 60 worked great for 10 years, ok for 2 years. The advice I'd give is get a 4 stroke no matter what size engine you get.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 3:00 PM
Roostertag
Roostertag
USER since 4/22/13
To add a little bit to Ulbians comments...

If you get a Yamaha motor, the company has a list of what prop will give you the best performance based on the size motor you have on the boat.

I know this from first hand knowledge after purchasing the Alumacraft Trophy with a 175 last year and wasn't getting the performance promised. Yamaha will gladly share the information with you. After finding out what prop should have been placed on the motor the dealer provided a free upgrade!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts