SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Need battery help

2/13/18 @ 10:29 PM
INITIAL POST
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12

So I have a 24v trolling motor. The batteries I have are junk so I'm looking to replace them. They are old and I can't read the info on them. I have a 70lb Minn kota on a 18ft boat. 

Can anyone tell me if these will work? I'm tight on cash at the moment but obviously want to get something that will work.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6617465222636254910?biw=360&bih=512&q=12v+deep+cycle+marine+battery&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX0u3ME1V0vL_bwFsfkdfXf07osTuCzqu8cgW4GuqvDwXXHbRz0_VJXaQwf09J24kdSzysqt_blGY1NpDENb-x5ZYf_wBq7e4BcBpq3vyy7oyGCAegBIZAFPVH71i6III22eQfA3FQnHWedWjgcKaBA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFnaGPuqTZAhXGnOAKHYTvDtkQ8wIIxAE

If anyone else has suggestions that are under 100 each to buy please let me know. I saw with shipping these are like 75 each. Would just a deep cycle marine set work? I guess I'm not sure on what AH they should be and any other size recommendations.

Thanks

Mike 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
2/21/18 @ 11:31 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Those look to be a bit small. Go to batteries plus or interstate and get a good series 27 or 29 with the most reserve minutes you can

2/21/18 @ 11:15 PM
wallybeav
wallybeav
User since 11/6/08

I just replaced my 8 yr old Sears Diehards. 2 of them. One starting battery and one for trolling. Only thing I did was keep them on battery tender while they sat outside in shed during winter. Bought same 2 last Spring. Hoping I get same mileage out of them. 

2/21/18 @ 3:46 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Higher group number=higher reserve capacity?

I'd like to go AGM too since it's a pain in my boat to be constantly checking water levels.

2/21/18 @ 3:24 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

Those look to be too small.  Last year a guy in Muskego was selling what looked like Trojen AGM's group 29 & 31's for about $100 each.  He was selling on Craigslist in Milwaukee.  I get group 31 AGM's from Farm & Fleet for $180 ea, going to check this guy out if mine take a dump.

2/18/18 @ 1:21 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Get yourself a Battery Tender and use it.   Your batteries will last longer.

2/17/18 @ 9:44 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

How often are you guys checking water levels?

I like these prices a lot better than the Optimas I have in there now.

2/14/18 @ 3:54 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Johnson Control makes most of the batteries regardless of brand name. Two group 27’s with the highest reserve capacity that you can find. A good two bank charger and distilled water will make them last a long time. Never let them sit over-night in a discharged state.

2/14/18 @ 10:21 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I run the Wmart EverStart Maxx 29DC batteries for $99 each. One as the house for starting motors (F225 cranks over easy with it) and powering accessories and two for the the 24V Terrova. VERY pleased with the performance!

2/14/18 @ 8:20 AM
bwankowski
User since 5/5/14

If you are a Sam's club member look at the duracell group 27 deep cycle for $79 a piece.

Otherwise a lot of guys like the walmart deep cycle, good warranty and obviously there are plenty of walmarts around for returns.

There are only a few battery manufactures in the US, so only difference in some is the case, guts are all the same.

The sam's club batteries is what I am going to use for my 36v ultrex.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-marine-battery-group-size-27dc/prod3590231.ip?xid=plp3990113-auto:product:1:4

2/14/18 @ 5:13 AM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12

Thanks guys. I will be going to Wal mart then in a couple weeks when I get the boat out. I appreciate it.

2/14/18 @ 12:17 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Here's some additional information about what Minkota recommends ... battery wiring, etc.

www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/battery-selection-and-rigging

2/13/18 @ 11:38 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

Go to Walmart and buy two of their deep cycle batteries. A group 27 is around $80 and will run your trolling motor 3 times longer than the one you posted in the link.

If you want your new batteries to last a long time, I hope you have a good dual charger capable of at least 6 amps per battery or 12 amps total.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE