Need a motor - what to buy and where to get it?

1/24/16 @ 9:42 AM
ORIGINAL POST
1fish2fish
1fish2fish
USER since 11/23/01
Good morning! I have a unique situation and need some advice. Two years ago the motor on my father-in-laws 1991 Alumacraft Classic Deluxe died. As it sometimes happens with engines the fix would cost more than just replacing it so he sat on it for a year while deciding that he wanted to do. It was during this time that I learned that he got the boat from his father-in-law and it has a tremendous amount of sentimental value to him and the family. After a lot of debate he made that hard decision to look into buying another boat for two reasons, he wants to be able to take the family water-skiing (not enough pull from the Alumicraft) and the cost of an engine is more than he wants to invest into this old boat considering he doesn’t go fishing much anymore. So what to do with the old Alumacraft? The boat is in near perfect condition. My father-in-law kept the boat in his garage year round so it only saw the elements when we took it out fishing. I brought up the idea of putting a cheap used 25hp motor on it to putt around the lakes and then my 14-year-old son said the coolest thing ever. “Dad, there is nothing wrong with the boat. Lets put a nice motor on it and keep it. How cool would it be to have a boat that was in our family for four generations?” A boat that was in our family for four generations… wow! How do I say no to that? So here I am looking for a motor to put on the boat. I stopped into a few marinas and the advice is to put a $10K+ motor on the boat. That would be great but I have to keep this in the realm of reality. So the next advice I was given is to find a boat/motor combo on craigslist that have a decent motor for $5000 and throw that on the boat. That seems like a lot to go through to get a motor. Can I just buy a motor for $3000 - $5000? I would really like to keep this boat if possible. The idea of keeping my wife’s father and grandfather’s boat in our family would be really amazing. I would prefer to get a 60hp so it has enough pull for tubing but I think we could go a little smaller and still pull the kids (teenagers) on tubes. Can you give me any advice on where to go to get a quality motor for this boat? I don't care about brand name, I care about quality and good returns on investment. Thank you! Bobby
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
1/24/16 @ 3:06 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I think it would be cheaper to get a merc on average for the same reason as was stated below you wouldn't need new controls. But in saying that some of the used motors at dealers come with controls. I personally would never buy another merc. If it was me I would look for a 4 stroke Honda, Yamaha(what I run) or Suzuki(what my dad runs) The older 2 stroke Yamahas are really nice to. Dons marine in Lodi sells Yamahas and I've had a great experience with anchor marine in Appleton. I think my dad bought his Suzuki (to replace his merc) from somewhere around slinger. Edit: just saw you wanted to tube with it. 4 strokes are great all around but you will get more hole shot with a 2 stroke

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 1:15 PM
1fish2fish
1fish2fish
USER since 11/23/01
I'm in Wind Lake but Lomira is certainly not too far to go for a motor. I just checked out their website and it looks promising. They only have larger motors listed but I will call them Monday to see what they have not listed on-line. Thanks!

Post Your Comment
1/24/16 @ 12:49 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04
Where are you located? I see that the boat has a Mercury on it now. It will be cheaper to put another Mercury on it due to the controls.

If you are close to Lomira, The Boat Doc is a very reputable dealer.

Post Your Comment