SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Motorguide xi5

9/25/17 @ 5:56 PM
INITIAL POST
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

Has anyone been having trouble with their Xi5.  I had a 24v 80 pound with pinpoint on my ranger angler 1760 and liked it. I upgraded to a 36v 105 pound Xi5 with pinpoint and it is a piece of crap. It takes off wide open whenever it wants to. When in heading lock if I want to turn a little bit and give it a quick click it will sometimes just keeps turning or sometimes turns the wrong way. Also in heading lock sometimes it will wander back and forth, I mean enough to have the back of the boat weaving in and out. It also has the same same amount of power as the 80 it pushes the boat at 2.3 or 2.4 wide open. Thought I would gain power since it is 25 more pounds of thrust. I contacted their customer service and they said I needed to take it to a service center. I took it in and 3 weeks later heard nothing so I called to see what was going on. They told me they tested it and there was nothing wrong. Couldn't tell me that 2 weeks earlier. I was getting a little upset at this point because they basically called me a liar. The service place then asked if I could bring my boat to show them the problem. I'm thinking really you never tried it on the water (I live about 40 miles away). So now I drive there with my boat and put the motor back on (if you buy a motorguide I recommend a quick release mounting plate then when you have to take it in for service 4 or 5 times it will be easier to remove). We take it out and he has me calibrate it and everything. For the first few minutes it worked ok not good but ok. Then it went back to normal and everything started going wrong just like it had been before I brought it in. The service guy was amazed at all the issues since it tested out ok in the shop. So now we take it off the boat and he said he would try to get me a new one. A WEEK LATER they called and said motorguide refused to replace it even though he recommended over and over that I should have a new replacement for all the trouble I had to deal with. They told him to replace a board and if that wasn't it the gps might be bad. When I picked it up he was pretty confident it wasn't the fix but that's what motorguide told him to do. I asked why not replace the gps right away and he said motorguide wouldn't give him the part to do it until he tried the new circuit board. I now have 240 miles and a lot of hours in on this only to find it is still the same piece of crap that I dropped off the first time. I was pretty upset to say the least so today I called motorguide  and talked to customer service. I explained what was happening and all she would say was take it to the service center. No apology for wasting my time, gas, and not to mention spending all that money on something that never even worked properly out of the box  So now I'm supposed to drive another 80 miles and drop it off again which might not fix the problem. This is ridiculous they act like this is the first time ever hearing of any of the problems I'm having. Maybe they should do a Google search it took me about a minute to find people having similar issues and similar customer service. They sure don't seem to care about making customers happy. It almost seems like they think I'm making up these issues but won't even listen to there service techs. I can honestly say this is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
6/18/20 @ 5:20 PM
Church
User since 11/30/05

Bought my Xi5 in 2017, 80V. I installed it myself as it was a replacement for my existing 12V Motorguide. Upon taking the boat out for the first time in '18 The anchor mode was not working. The GPS module was in some way defective. The customer service rep had a module drop shipped to a local authorized repair center ASAP. He mentioned that I had been respectful with him during our conversations so he would extend himself as much as possible to get me the module. He also mentioned that a previous customer with the same issue wouldn't receive the same level of service because of the fact that he had decided to cuss out the customer service rep during their conversation. Module was installed and I've had no issues with the motor since. I am pleased.

5/14/20 @ 1:38 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Motorguide has completely redesigned the Pinpoint GPS on these motors.I sold my 55 Terrova a few weeks ago,in anticipation of going with a 24v motor.So I ordered the Pinpoint GPS add on kit to repair the Xi5 and sell it fully functioning.Motor worked just fine in manual mode.

When I removed the module from the box,I was surprised to see the difference.Both the GPS and compass are now in a hard plastic case,vs the molded rubber.And the wires going into the GPS module are fully protected,IE the cable sheathing goes into the case and not the gap like on the old one with a 1/4" of exposed wire.Plus the compass can be removed via a connector if needed.Also the case on remote seems like it is made out of more durable plastic?

I am wondering if the molded rubber parts were more suspect to failure for some reason?Maybe a chemical reaction with the electrical parts?Now the Xi5 that never seemed to consistently work in GPS mode now is virtually dead nuts on.Only time will tell,but heard a lot of problems like I had.So far,it has not even attempted to wrap cord once.

5/14/18 @ 12:40 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Hope you get it fixed. Makes me not want to go full bore tech . You spend 1000s of dollars for all this technology  and it just seems to me to be a waste , just my observation.  

5/13/18 @ 10:48 PM
Allmadness
User since 9/30/17

Wanted to update everyone from last year.  I took my Xi5 in and the tech spent all day working on the unit.  Replaced board and GPS and the Network Gateway.  Says he was the 1st to report the problem after he looked at my motor.  Later in the afternoon Motorguide said they had another service center call in with samt issue so they were able to replicate it.  Walked away with a great feeling.  I wasn't able to test out as it was late Oct and time wasn't on my side with Winter.

Fast forward to May 2018 - went out trolling opening weekend, had problems with the Heading lock and the linking between the HDS 12.  Wasn't able to track down the exact issue or order of events of the problem.  

Went out again May 9th-11th 2018 - end result - Xi5 is still broken.

Now when I put the unit in heading lock, 30sec later the HDS 12 says it lost connection to the auto pilot computer.

Un-hooked Xi5 from gateway - used heading lock still not working as designed.  When in heading lock (not connected to network) Xi5 starts out ok but 2mins later it will turn me left when I tell it to jog right.  Always turning the Xi5 when it should just be doing the heading lock on it's own!  It most defiantly lost fish for me this week!!!  

I am at my wits end, calling service center this week.  If there isn't a solution I don't have any other choice but to move to Minn Kota, I am trying and giving Motorguide every chance to keep my business.

10/25/17 @ 9:21 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

One way to fix an Xi5

I am betting the problems are with the GPS/heading sensor,not the control board..Same part is used on all models.12 volt or 36,it's the same part used since the beginning of manufacture.Software update aside,it is the same since introduction.

Compare the current Xi5 to the 2017 Terrova,Terrova is now miles ahead.

10/25/17 @ 2:53 PM
Allmadness
User since 9/30/17

Thanks for the Heads up MileMark_714!!!

I made progress with my MG Xi5 but still need to do more water testing until I post final results.

10/22/17 @ 12:17 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

I have used an Xi5 for the last 3 years.Motorguide service was excellent.Had to do the software update,and went flawlessly.I have 2 gripes with it.Location of cord sucks,it lays on release lever when stowed.I deploy/stow motor with left foot,so the cord is right there waiting to get stepped on.2nd is the cord wrapping issue when the motor does not get a good signal.Mine wrapped around tight a few weeks ago,and killed the GPS module.Pulled the sheath off cable and severed a few wires.350.00 or so part and hard to find.Just about all places were backordered.So I went with the new Terrova.

Mounting the Terrova is easier than the MG,it is a flat design,vs the MG drop front.The cord is in a location that does not interfere with the deploy lever.Plus all commands/controls are on the remote and visual.Not having to listen for beeps is nice.Guys that are hard of hearing will like that.

Hopefully the new spot lock is as good as the MG?Who knows what MG will do next,improve on design,or let MK win the race?

Allmadness;the MG GPS module is in the base,next to the control board.The compass/heading sensor is mounted in the head.The cable that goes into the base of unit is a bad design and like mine,can be ruined if motor wraps cord too tight.There should be a grommet to secure and protect it.When I fix mine,I will tie wrap it to main cable to secure it.

10/18/17 @ 11:59 AM
Allmadness
User since 9/30/17

From what I have been told from support - Motorguide has GPS in the base unit, so the RAM mount for the head of the motor isn't that important like it is on the Minn Kota since the Minn Kota GPS is in the head.

10/10/17 @ 5:20 PM
Allmadness
User since 9/30/17

Same here - I asked about that same update and they said my model/version was up to date.

10/9/17 @ 9:06 PM
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

I asked if it needed a update during my original call to motorguide they said it was up to date.

10/9/17 @ 12:38 PM
karl58
User since 7/27/13

once had my xi5 go haywire then turn off and not turn back on, called motor guide, they sent me a computer update.. mailed me a USB drive thing to plug into it and update the trolling motor, been a couple years sense this.

most likely if you brought it in it should have been done, just throwing it out there

10/9/17 @ 9:47 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The Minnkota Terrova has the controls in the lower unit, if I understand it correctly. I do not have a shaft support bracket and my motor works flawlessly. I spent eight hours yesterday on the Wisconsin river using Spot Lock and iPilot and never had one problem. Great product!

10/8/17 @ 4:09 PM
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

Yes I have a ram mount for support. The motor didn't work properly out of the box and is no better after 3 trips to the service center.

10/8/17 @ 5:30 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

I've had similar issues with a Minnkota PDV2 autopilot. Had to have a couple boards replaced.

Do you have a RAM or similar mount securing the head? I think a big part of the problem is going down the road, hitting a bump, shaft flexes and the head of the unit is bouncing all over. Just a thought...

10/7/17 @ 9:08 PM
killsnake
User since 2/17/14

Thanks for the reply Allmadness. The service center told me I needed to bring boat back in because the bad board on trolling motor may have ruined my gateway but I have lost most confidence in them. I went on Motorguides facebook and left a message they got back to me within a few hours. Said they would get a hold of the Motorguide manager and get back to me ASAP that was a week ago. I sent them a message Wednesday with no reply.  I had a one year old xi5 80 24v before upgrading to the 36v with no problems. Please keep me posted not looking forward to another trip to service center they knew nothing about running the xi5 with a lowrance network. Kind of funny after talking multiple people at Motorguide everyone of them said there has been no issues with the Xi5.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE