Motor not getting enough fuel

5/5/15 @ 6:14 AM
ORIGINAL POST
sandbarcornhole
sandbarcornhole
USER since 12/2/14
75hp Merc 4 stroke. Keeps cutting out. Works if you manually pump fuel to motor. It's on a pontoon boat w/ 18 gallon tank. Thinking fuel pump, but could use input. Thank you.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
5/28/15 @ 1:58 PM
sandbarcornhole
sandbarcornhole
USER since 12/2/14
Thank you to all that provided info. Turns out there was a clog in fuel filter. I had them check the whole fuel line to see about replacement, but it was good. Work done by Mountain sport.

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 1:48 PM
lilmike
lilmike
USER since 12/23/05
I have a similar question. I just bought a boat ( have yet to take it out)and it has a 89' 2 stroke Evinrude. The previous owner said it will run fine for a week or two then randomly just die, but if you give it 5 minutes or so it will start right up again and run fine. He believes it's a coil pack but isn't sure. Without seeing it happen first hand my thoughts went straight to a possible float getting stuck. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post Your Comment
5/13/15 @ 11:51 AM
Babs
Babs
USER since 11/20/01
I had similar issues a few years back and it drove me nuts. I spent most of a summer swapping electrical parts and fuel hoses,pump,etc. The one thing I did not replace was the fuel line connectors because there were no leaks. My problem was a small piece of foil (from an oil bottle that could not be seen) was jammed in the fitting causing the motor to cut out at higher speeds.

Edited on 5/13/15 11:53 AM
Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 12:17 PM
1up
1up
USER since 7/22/06
hmm having same problem with yamaha 9.9 kicker checked fuel line and section by the actual tank is all soft and mushy got new line will put in today and see if that does the trick

Edited on 5/12/15 12:18 PM
Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 10:14 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I still have the bulb i bought in the package sitting in my garage. Always good to have an extra i guess!

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 7:53 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
I had the same problem as Rob last year, had to restart it all the time, could cut out sometimes at full throttle, pump the bulb and go...

it was the pickup tube in the tank, didn't do any good to put a clamp on it because it was brittle, easy fix if that is the case.

also replaced my fuel line (bulb) from the tank to the motor, the new (expensive) ones are s'pose to stand up to the ethanol problem better, I try to use gas without it but there are times when one has no choice.

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 7:45 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
MEMBER since 5/20/05
also agree with Ed. Last season I had a "stay running" issue. Turned out it was a collapsed interior lining in the the fuel line. Line looked good visually. My bulb would collapse due to the line between the bulb & tank being the issue. If it bulb stays compressed when squeezed or when motor running, the line between the tank & bulb is bad. If the bulb has to be squeezed to keep the motor running, the line between the bulb & motor is collapsed internally. My old line was also only 2 years old!! I bought marine grade, ethanol approved replacement line and now all is good.

Post Your Comment
5/12/15 @ 5:03 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Good point Ed

Post Your Comment
5/11/15 @ 5:55 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Good chance that the fuel line is junk. We have that problem down here in mid Missouri because of the alcohol in the fuel. The alcohol eats the liner inside of the fuel line and all of your O rings. If your fuel is alcohol free you are lucky ours contains a minimum of 10% unless you buy 91 octane.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
5/9/15 @ 6:21 PM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
If you have any fuel line disconnects, make sure the O-rings aren't cracked as well.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts