MinnKota IPilot remote issues

1/16/16 @ 4:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I’ve had a Terrova 24v Ipilot for a little over 2 yrs. About 1 yr after purchase I had trouble with the remote and sometimes it would not turn on despite having the motor deployed and yes the battery was just over 3V. Mysteriously it would at some point work again. MinnKota kindly replaced the remote. A few times on the water with the new remote same problems. I found if I opened the remote and popped the battery out and back in it would work. A PIA. Took the motor and remote to the warranty center and they could not get it to replicate problem. MinnKota again replace the remote. A few trips into last spring same problems. Shipped the unit to MinnKota in Mankato and they replaced the head. Now same damn problem. Erratically won’t respond to pushing buttons esp after the remote screen goes off but motor still pulling me along. I contacted MinnKota and I’m now out of warranty. Annoying that the initial problem remains. No warranty on the replaced parts ie faulty part replaced with faulty part and they are not responsible. No warranty from replacement date only purchase date. If it no longer re-boots with battery removal what do I send in and where? Anybody have similar problem? Seems to me it may be a glitch in their software? Thanks, Grey Beard
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/30/17 @ 5:46 PM
RubberMinnow
RubberMinnow
USER since 12/6/02

I have had the same issues. I will have spot lock on in the river. When it is time to move the remote is blank and I can not operate the motor. I have to remove the battery and put it back in. When I first start for the day I have to bang the remote on my leg to get it to turn on. I have been back to the marine dealer I bought it from and they have not offered a new remote. I can not duplicate what it does all the time. Now it completely  does not turn on no matter what I do. Dealer said it is now a month out of warranty and they said they will contact mk but they don't  know if they will be able to replace it under warranty. 

Post Your Comment
8/4/16 @ 1:05 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I have a newer Terrova and remote, software is up to date, no issues.  Budddy has the Ulterra software up to date, no issues.  However with new remotes your software should be up to date.  Is the motor software up to date?

Post Your Comment
7/17/16 @ 5:06 PM
jigawhopper
jigawhopper
MEMBER since 8/16/05

I have had the same issues.  Disconnecting power from battery resets remote and head.  Finally installed a battery switch which made this much easier as motor was wired direct.  Worked great until motor died a month later.  I am currently debating replacement but not decided on terrova versus ulterra and ipilot vs link.  Anyone have any experience with ulterra and link I would be interested in hearing from you.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 4:07 AM
skipster
skipster
USER since 11/1/04
Register TM on website & complete latest update.

Post Your Comment
2/14/16 @ 3:09 PM
B B KING
B B KING
USER since 1/29/16
I had the same problem but purchased motor from Brew City Trolling Motor in Big Bend he knows MK s switched remotes and re programed something im not sure what he did but I haven't had any problems since if it acts up again that's who id take it to

Post Your Comment
2/13/16 @ 7:05 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I listed my problem on other sites and found out there are a lot of people with similar issues. Keep in mind I'm on my third remote and one replaced head. A number of people suggested whacking the remote with your hand or on your leg and it worked but not a satisfactory soln.

I employed the suggestions of bending out the battery pin and applying dielectric grease to the battery. It was only a one day trial but the remote worked flawlessly as compared to the previous outing when I had to whack it multiple times. It also seemed to take longer to go into the sleep mode. (edit: it has worked flawlessly the last 4 outings)

Someone also suggested that if you place a dime on the battery and then replace the cover you will solve the remote problem. That will be my backup if the above fails.

Considering how many remotes MinnKota has had to replace one would think they would have solved this problem.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 10:43 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I had this same problem but it was fixed by just replacing the remote. Buddy had the same problem but he did not have a ram mount to keep the motor head from bouncing in very rough conditions. He ended up paying for a new head and remote. Added a ram mount and problem hasn't come back.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 12:15 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
The only advice I would offer is to ask if you have documentation of all this, I would believe so since you were dealing with MK service...

find a way to contact MK buy phone or their web site, and plead your case.. it seems like you have a defective or lemon machine

start out by stating facts.... you've been doing the right thing so far

Post Your Comment