SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Minn Kota trolling motor

1/21/18 @ 11:55 AM
INITIAL POST
rmba
PRO MEMBER User since 7/1/10

I think , I am going to up grade my trolling motor this year. I really what the anchor settings . Right now I have the power drive , I am very happy with.

so I am looking the consensus, of you guys.

there is about $ 500 difference between, the three  models I am looking. 

Driver drive, Terrova and Ulterra oh yeah I am going up to a 24 volt , I now the the power drive is 10 less pounds of trust compared to the other two. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
2/4/18 @ 9:58 AM
rmba

So I think I made up mine mind. I am going with the power drive.  So I emailed 6 different boat dealers in the Minocqua area,and one by Wausau, and only one, got back to me. I asked about price on the trolling motor,two new batteries, and install. I really don’t upstand why businesses and contractors don’t return calls or emails. In today’s world it’s easier then ever to communicate.

1/30/18 @ 12:15 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

I ran the Ultrex all last year and loved it. The new anchor mode is much more accurate and useful than the original version. Do use and anchor any more. 

I bought the Ultrex because of the bracket. I fish from the front deck sometimes and put the motor in and out a lot. I like the foot pedal on the Ultrex because you don't have to look at the motor to see where it's aiming. The motor position relates to the pedal position. Also the bracket is much easier to deploy and stow than the Terrova or Auto Pilot. The bracket is also very strong. If you fish from the back of the boat the wireless control works the same as the Ulterra or Terrova. You can also get the Link if you want.

Any of the new motors with anchor mode will be very impressive.

What ever you get the Waukesha dealer is good. Also Brew City Trolling motor gives excellent service. They also do house calls. http://brewcitytms.com/

1/30/18 @ 10:51 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Good point on the pedal, I have a Terrova, I have had to use the pedal once or twice.   Once I think my batteries went dead in my remote, and my charging cord was bad, other time my remote froze up.  It was either use the pedal or not use motor at all.

1/29/18 @ 11:19 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Make sure that the Power Drive and the Terrova use the same motor. If you don’t get the US on the Terrova, the foot pedal will be an option. Anchors Away in Waukesha does have the best prices, service, and product knowledge of both brands.

1/29/18 @ 7:37 PM
Capt Quint2
User since 4/14/15
If your near the Waukesha area check out Anchors Away on West Ave. Good prices and good service.  I’m going with the Power Drive with the anchor function. Two of my friends have the Terrova and never have they used the foot petal. All it does is take up space. So for me the Terrova not worth the extra $. 
1/29/18 @ 10:17 AM
rmba

Ulbian

I am putting this on a older boat, so I will have to run new wire, and I plan on getting two new batteries. With a three bank charging system. 

1/28/18 @ 10:10 AM
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

I am also looking at upgrading. My issue is I have used  Lowrance equipment forever. I may or may not link due to I would need to upgrade electronics also but that may or may not happen. I also used Minn Kota all my life at 61 years. Motorguide years back had there issues and thus the reason I remained true blue to Minn Kota. From what I researched Motorguide has a good unit with the i5 and I have not heard anything bad. Prices are all over the place pending options. 

Are there any big pros and cons between the two motors? Also it is confusing as to how much you have to spend in options to make the comparison between them. Seems each time I go to Cabela's to look and research the two motors I get different answers which I think it was a preference think with the sales staff. 

1/27/18 @ 10:30 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Since you are set on upgrading don’t half ass it. To get the best performance out of a 24v system you’ll want at least 6ga wire. Most boats now come with 8ga or 10ga. The bigger the wire you use the happier your motor will be. 8ga wire carrying 24v can heat up more than you’d like especially if you work the thing hard. You’ll also experience enough voltage drop to potentially hurt the motor. These Terrovas and Ulterras need to be fed. 

You’ll also want to wire in a circuit breaker. That’s just an insurance policy for an expensive piece of equipment. 

I’d also suggest some sort of stabilizing mount for when it is stowed. The head, which contains the GPS stuff, is sensitive. By locking it down it’s another bit of insurance for the intricate circuitry in them. 

Perhaps the biggest benefit of a stabilizer is that it will guard against accidental deployment. I personally know guys who have been clipping across a lake with just a little bit of chop and their trolling motor comes unpinned and deployed. Their motors flipped into the water and were destroyed at 40-50mph. 

Obviously it’s time to get new batteries. Don’t run a mismatched set. Find a pair that are identical and have the same manufacture date. Get the biggest batteries you can fit into your boat. 

1/27/18 @ 5:17 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I only had an issue once with deployment, called Johnson outdoor tech line and they diagnosed that the head unit had to be reset. Took less than 10 minutes on the phone and it was working. Good phone number to save just in case

1/22/18 @ 11:40 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

These units seem really nice. That is until you see the price tag.

I thought we paid a lot for our PD.

Almost three grand for a trolling motor? I feel like that's insane.

1/22/18 @ 11:19 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I have an 80lb 24v ulterra I purchased last winter on my 18’ crestliner pro tiller.  I researched a ton before I spent the money and I have no complaints. I did not go with the link.  Had no issues with it in cold weather in the spring. The auto stow / deploy is beyond handy. Running a tiller, I can move from spot to spot without leaving the seat to put down the motor.  I have used it for launching the boat alone as well which was a big selling feature for me. Spot lock is dead on, some reviews I read before purchasing had said there was issues with staying put, but I did not find that to be an issue. The ipilot is fantastic for trolling, and the 24v has more than enough power to pull my boat for a full sun up to sun down 2 day trip of trolling. I’ve used the foot controller a few times, but I much prefer the hand fob. There is enough cord with the foot pedal to reach my driver seat in the tiller ( no idea why)

1/22/18 @ 9:58 AM
rmba

Thanks 

I don’t think I will ever hook up to my locator, but I do like the I pilot feature.And I do plan on buying new batteries.

1/22/18 @ 7:58 AM
mvanhank222
User since 12/16/13
It depends on what features you want if you want a foot pedal you have to get a terrova or ulterra. If you want auto stow and deploy you need the ulterra. Also if you are thinking about electronics if you ever want to link hummingbird links with minn Kota and lowrance links with motorguide. I also agree with new batteries and minimum 70 lbs for 17’ 80 lbs for 18’ and 100 lbs and over for bigger than 18’. By minimum that will work effectively but bigger will handle current and wind much better than the minimum.
1/21/18 @ 10:27 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I think the anchor system is gold. Your are making a real smart move moving to 24 volt. Depending on the size of your boat you might consider 36 volt. I can use my 36 volt on my 22ft bass boat for two solid days and never feel a difference.. What ever you do make sure to buy new big batteries at the same time.  

Big Ed

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE