Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still?

5/24/18 @ 8:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Theory
Theory
USER since 3/21/05

I am picking up a new terrova ipilot with the link and Gps puck. I have a 3 year old ipilot I’m selling tomm. Mostly want the accuracy of the new ones. So I’m wondering, do I waste money on a  Humminbird router for that and my 3 fish finders or is the new ipilots accurate without it? (Back locater is connect to console, front is a helix 7 ice (non networkable) connected to trolling motor). 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/13/18 @ 6:48 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

The remote puck increases the accuracy of spot lock tremendously. If you use the spot lock feature which I do very often, you'll definitely want to take advantage of this enhancement.

Post Your Comment
6/12/18 @ 8:51 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I would spend the money on a router so that everyting can be linked together.

Post Your Comment
5/26/18 @ 6:41 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

The puck is only for jog feature. It’s obly purpose is to communicate via Bluetooth to trolling motor so it knows which direction boat is pointed.  It does not improve accuracy of spot lock and would be useless if using i pilot for trolling.   

Edited on 5/26/18 6:42 AM
Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 4:39 PM
Theory
Theory
USER since 3/21/05

It has a helix 7 with internal Gps. 

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 2:24 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

What unit do you have on the console, most of the newer ones have GPS built in. If you are talking about the white puck that came with the Terrova, that's just a compass as I've read and used for spot lock.

I just got a Terrova as well, not sure if I am going to install it or not. I hate boat wiring. I am going to try it without and see how it works.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 12:24 PM
Theory
Theory
USER since 3/21/05

ok so your saying that it probally wont help me when im trolling? do use it for trolling/spot lock. 50/50. you would think it would use it for both but maybe im wrong.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 10:03 AM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

From what I understand, the "puck" is actually just a compass and is only used when utilizing spot lock and you want to "jog" 5-6 ft in a different direction.

It does not need an ethernet switch, just 12v power. That being said, according to the marina, it is "always on" and will draw power when the boat is off if you don't have a main battery switch (which you should, ask me how I know).

Disclaimer: I have limited knowledge on the subject and learning as I go, this is what I've been told. 

Post Your Comment