LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still?

5/24/18 @ 8:55 PM
INITIAL POST
Theory
User since 3/21/05

I am picking up a new terrova ipilot with the link and Gps puck. I have a 3 year old ipilot I’m selling tomm. Mostly want the accuracy of the new ones. So I’m wondering, do I waste money on a  Humminbird router for that and my 3 fish finders or is the new ipilots accurate without it? (Back locater is connect to console, front is a helix 7 ice (non networkable) connected to trolling motor). 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
5/9/22 @ 8:06 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

As far as the cord wrapping around the motor mine with either feel the resistance of the cord tighten or it remembers how many times it's spun it then will unwind itself and reposition. I know the feeling sometimes you think the cord will come out from being twisted up but then it unwinds itself.

5/9/22 @ 5:24 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

My new Minn Kota is awesome. The spot lock is dead on. I am having a problem where the electric cable is wrapping around the motor. I think I am going to recalibrate everything and see if that corrects the problem.

4/27/22 @ 12:54 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Well that's something a bridge blocking your GPS. That is something I will have to remember. I almost ran into a few things playing with the remote control today. Then I headed out to deeper water and everything was fine.

Thanks again Jabberwalker!

4/27/22 @ 11:22 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04
Now you have to learn all the features such as heading control, speed control, etc. The new ones really are amazing. When I first got mine I was using spot lock and almost slammed into a bridge piling, took a bit before I realized the bridge was blocking my GPS signal. LOL
4/27/22 @ 11:01 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Took my new Minn Kota out on the lake today. Got everything calibrated. What a difference with this new motor compared to my old one. It is what everybody says it's just holds you right there. Thanks for everybody's help!

It was only 33 degrees out there with wind blowing they said it was 9 miles an hour but more like 15 cold!!!

4/14/22 @ 9:49 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

It's been awhile but I believe you can use your main motor to drive in 2 complete circles while following the directions on the remote.

4/14/22 @ 9:39 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

One more question guys at least I hope so.

Heading sensor calibration for ipilot.

They say to make 2 complete circles I assume that's with the trolling motor not your main motor. And how big of circles are you supposed to make? The directions for this are unclear.

4/13/22 @ 5:24 PM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

Thanks for everyone's help!

4/13/22 @ 3:31 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

No channel other than the one for the coil spring lift assist. They come with a variety of built in transducers. Check their compatibility chart.

4/13/22 @ 12:08 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

Do the new Terrova's have a channel on the outside that runs the entire length of the shaft. I used that channel to run the transducer cable for my Garmin EchoMap 73DV. 

I only used the zip ties to hold the cable in place while the silicon set up.

Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still? photo by jbird68
Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still? photo by jbird68
4/13/22 @ 10:55 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

Jbird, maybe post your old Terrova on Craig's List, might be better off  to sell it and upgrade. There a lot of people who can't afford new Trolling Motors who would probably be interested. My brother just upgraded and I sold his old 2007 PowerDrive for $385. No auto-pilot or spot lock.

4/13/22 @ 10:12 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

You can order an upgrade kit for older Terrovas. I think they are like $700. That's what I want to do with my 2011 Terrova. But i would also need to buy a new foot pedal which would push my price to $900. And, yes, I do use my foot pedal just as much as the remote. Bad thing is that I just replaced my remote last year. $$$$$

4/13/22 @ 9:12 AM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

Madforlabs is right, calibration is what makes sure when you push jog forward the boat goes forward. Heading offset makes up for if you don't have the puck lined up front to back perfectly.

4/13/22 @ 5:36 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

You definitely need to go through the calibration procedures 

4/13/22 @ 5:01 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I received my new Minn Kota ipilot yesterday.

Is it necessary to celebrate the heading sensor?

Also I would like to know if you need to adjust heading offset?

Is this all set up at the factory? Or is it necessary to go through all these steps?

Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still? photo by westfieldW
Minn Kota Gps puck..router needed still? photo by westfieldW
Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE