SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Minn Kota cutting out at higher speeds

5/3/16 @ 8:55 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I have a Minn Kota 4.3 24v system.  Runs fine in calm conditions, but when it gets windy and I have to dial up the speed to move against the wind, my inline breaker trips.

What do you think the likely culpret is?  Too light of a breaker, or power wires too thin?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
7/22/18 @ 9:39 PM
Fun2Fish
User since 6/8/03

Thanks.I have a new marinco plug on it now but as soon as it goes I will replace with the battery tender plug.

F2F

7/22/18 @ 6:30 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Agreed, the plug is likely the culprit - a bad connection increases the resistance, which in turn causes heat and melts the plug.   

7/22/18 @ 5:40 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Replace it with a battery tender plug. Best one on the market. 

7/22/18 @ 2:15 PM
Fun2Fish
User since 6/8/03

I have a problem with my connecting plug.It keeps melting the 24 volt jumper in the plug.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F2F

7/9/17 @ 7:10 PM
G&E
User since 9/8/11

Put a ipilot on my 98 smokercraft a couple years ago. Boat was wired for and had 24 volt bowmount on it when I bought it so figured all was good. First year with ipilot I had same problem would kick out at higher speed when windy and surging. Checked everything and no problem. The next year talked to local marina. Original breaker was to light for the ipilot. Think I had 50s and switched them to 60s? This year runs like a dream.

6/9/17 @ 9:24 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Thanks.  I'll pick up a multi meter next time I'm at Fleet.

6/9/17 @ 8:29 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Something in your wiring is failing when you generate a certain amount of heat in your set-up. I had a plug do this on me before I upgraded everything on it.  Bypassed the plug and wired it direct and problem solved. 

Get your hands on a basic multi-meter. Those things are invaluable for so many reasons. Check resistance levels throughout your system and isolate the plug.  Check the wiring...then check the plug by itself. Also check voltage levels before the plug and in the plug. 

The other possibilities are that you have a weak wire somewhere in your run which exposes itself when heat is built up causing it to cut out. Of course make darn sure your connections at the battery are rock solid.  

If it is in the wiring you might want to consider re-wiring the thing and if you do step up a size in wires. If they are currently building up heat then by going a size bigger you'll have more surface area on your wiring to dissipate the heat.  

I'd still get those batteries load tested just to eliminate them as a culprit. Most auto parts will load test batteries for free or you can pick up a load tester at a Fleet Farm for around 30 bucks.  While not as invaluable as a multi-meter, having your own load tester if you have a bunch of vehicles around is a good investment. My parents have a farm and the day I bought a load tester is now looked upon as one of the best tools anyone has ever purchased.  

6/9/17 @ 7:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

jc,

While I have a 12v system, I do have two batteries that I alternate between.  The motor does it with both batteries.  Thanks for the input though.  Any advice is appreciated.

6/8/17 @ 10:35 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
User since 12/12/10

Bugle, I have a 24 volt terrova that did the same last year. I found that one of my batteries went bad. When I replaced them with new the problem went away. Not sure if you checked your battery, but that might be your problem. Good luck.

6/8/17 @ 8:16 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have a 55lb 12v PowerDrive V2 on my 16’ aluminum boat that I use primarily for trolling. It’s a bit under powered but gets the job done if I can troll with the wind/waves or if I'm in calm conditions. When I’m in a crosswind and have to turn up the power at or past 8, it cuts out. I get three fast beeps and the motor shuts itself off. The remote stays on but reads 0 for power. I can turn it right back on at a lower speed. I don’t have to reset any breakers, just turn the motor back on. Any thoughts?

5/6/16 @ 10:50 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

At the end of last year my Motor Guide trolling motor cut out on me a few times at the highest speed. What I found was that breaker ws pretty rusty after 16 years of use. I replaced it and seems to be fine now. The other thing I noticed was that where the wires to the trolling motor plug were spliced into the trolling motor wires it would get hot to the touch. The wires were not hot before or after the splice...just at the splice.

5/4/16 @ 8:25 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

How long have you been running the trolling motor set-up?  If you've had the same set-up for a long time I'd guess the breaker is beginning to fail, or you have a loose connection. 

If it is a brand new set-up I'd verify the wire gauge...

5/4/16 @ 4:00 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Breaker should be at least 125% of the motor max draw.  A 50A breaker is marginal for that motor; 60A is better.

The breakers are thermal - a weak connection at the breaker will also trip it due to heating.

#8 AWG wire is adequate.  #10 is undersized.

5/3/16 @ 9:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

minnkotamotors.com/Support/Battery-Selection---Rigging

check out the PDF , Conductor Gauge Chart for circuit breaker info

5/3/16 @ 9:02 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

You are on the right path with the breaker.  My guess would be your wire is too thin.  take your amp meter and see what you are pulling when on full power.  You can try in your driveway, but guessing there won't be enough load when not in the water. 

The other issue I found, I had water in the lower unit, which caused corrosion, which increased the resistance, which caused a high amp draw, which tripped my breaker.  Hopefully for you, it is just the wire. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE