lower unit not excepting lube

3/29/15 @ 12:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
da north
da north
USER since 12/23/08
hey guys my lower unit is only excepting around 6oz of lube when it should be taking 11.5 oz.Its a 60hp merc 4 stroke any body run into this problem?
Edited on 3/29/15 2:37 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
4/7/15 @ 6:58 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
hogridnfool is correct, I forgot about that step. After doing it for 10 years you would think I would remember what I do. And it does come out the front vent first for some reason, even though they look horizontal. Must be a vertical chamber in there that can trap air.

Post Your Comment
3/31/15 @ 10:50 PM
hogridnfool
hogridnfool
USER since 2/9/05
Had the same problem with my '09 Mercury 4-stroke, went by my owners manual drain and refill procedure and I too was only able to get less than half (about 6 oz.) of the 14.9 fl. oz of the required amount back in. I called my dealer and Mercury Customer Service and they both said 14.9 0z. is correct and we don't know why you can't get more in. Years went by and I finally found the correct procedure for refilling... According to the Mercury service manual.

To refill the gear case;

With the outboard in the vertical position, add lubricant until it appears in the front vent hole and install the plug with sealing washer. Continue adding lubricant until it appears in the rear vent hole. Stop adding lube and install the rear vent plug and sealing washer before removing the fill tube. Remove tube and replace the fill plug and sealing washer. My Owners Manual does not mention the two vent plugs, so I was trying to refill the way I did with all my older Mercurys that had only one vent plug.

Post Your Comment
3/31/15 @ 8:10 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I have a 2005 Merc. 60hp 4S, I don't know the specs off hand but it does not take a lot of lower unit oil. If you are filling 12oz., that might be close to it. For some reason, 13 oz. strikes a bell, but look it up. I just did, it says 11.5 oz for the normal and 22.5 for the big foot.

Post Your Comment
3/31/15 @ 7:16 AM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
you sure your not getting fill specs for a bigfoot lower unit? merc had two different lower units for the mid range motors.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 7:54 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
10-4 Big Shane!

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 7:32 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I retired tr didn't get the boot just like bs better. I don't use the tr email address anymore. So let's just let trackerrat disappear.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 6:40 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
What gives Big Shane, did you get the boot? Wern't you Trackerrat or something like that a few months ago... Either way, glad you are still around.

As far as filling slow, don't we all use a hand pump? You really can't fill too fast...

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 5:18 PM
WAXMAN
WAXMAN
MEMBER since 6/18/01
I do the same as Plmlk does. I also don't put in the top screw until I leave it sit for appox 30mins to make use all the air is out. If you are filling from the bottom and new oil is coming out the top,don't worry about it. Is this the first time you changed the oil on this motor? If still in doubt go to a qualified mechanic. Smile

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 2:40 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I'm with Muskie nut on this one. When I changed mine I thought it filled up too fast so I slowed down the pumping and got quite a bit more in.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 5:25 AM
Wolfden
Wolfden
USER since 4/7/09
Are u somewhere warm, and not in below freeze temps. Poss had a Frozen glob of lubelube taking Space.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts