SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Lower unit grease type

3/24/18 @ 8:39 AM
INITIAL POST
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have always used Yamaha oil and lower unit grease. Does using the Yamaha brand in a yamaha motor matter. I have a half hour trip to ther yamaha dealer but have Mercury dealer right in my hometown. So question is  How important is using the Yamaha brand in a yamaha motor?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
3/24/18 @ 9:21 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

For lower unit oil I'd stick with OEM if it is under warranty.  

If it is not under warranty, there are lots of quality options.  I put Evinrude Etec lower unit oil in my Etec as well as my Yami.  I'd do it the other way around too, just happen to live close to an Evinrude dealer so it's convenient. 

3/24/18 @ 7:52 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Most importantly, never mix oils.

3/24/18 @ 11:02 AM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

If it's only a 30 minute trip would stick with OEM fluids if it's a newer motor. Myself use Mystic brand from Fleet Farm for a few years now and have no issues, but I have a 1984 Evinrude on the back of my rig  . Most Oils are all certified so there is not much difference between aftermarket and OEM . Some have different additive packages that very slightly between brands . If your motor is under warranty yet I would stick with OEM 

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE