Lower Unit Drain Plug Screwdriver Slot Stripped

10/23/15 @ 3:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I was putting our boats away for the season and could not remove the lower unit drain plug on one of the outboards because the slot on the head of the plug is stripped and there's nothing for the screwdriver to grab onto. I've been looking at options online for how to get it out. An impact driver looks like an option but I'm not so sure about that knowing that the casing is made of aluminum. An Easy Out screw/bolt remover looks like an option as well. Anyone care to give some advice on how to get that drain plug out? Is there some kind of tool that's specifically designed for this?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
10/26/15 @ 7:15 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Glad you got it out with out destroying anything!

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 7:59 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I guess I totally over-thought the job. The hammer and punch solved the problem in two taps. New plug was installed by the idiot that put the old on in last fall. I learnt me a lesson.

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 3:24 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I would use a Dremel tool and carefully recut the screwdriver slot deeper to get enough material to bite and remove the screw.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 8:06 AM
popi
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
sorry about all upper case!!

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 8:05 AM
popi
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
HAMMMER AND A PUNCH. IF IT DOESNT BUDGE AND YOU HAVE TO DRILL, USE A LEFT HANDED BIT,SOMETIMES THEY WILL GRAB A SCREW AND TURN IT OUT FOR YOU,IF NOT THEN A PIPE EXTRACTER.

Post Your Comment
10/24/15 @ 5:37 AM
bluegillchasher
bluegillchasher
MEMBER since 1/8/05
I have taken a number of plugs out with a hammer and punch.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 8:31 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
I agree with fishes heat hammer and chisel idea. Also using a dremel to make a new slot.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 4:03 PM
fishs
fishs
MEMBER since 2/17/04
Without seeing the threads I think drilling and easyout is my last option. Other options would be to try a heat gun then hand impact tool, chisel and hammer, Dremmil tool a new slot, soak it with a rust buster. You'll get it out. Tell us which method worked. Oh yea, and whoever put the last one on make sure they're there to help.

Post Your Comment
10/23/15 @ 3:57 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have always used an impact driver on the gearcase with no issues.

Post Your Comment