License Plate for Boat Trailer

3/2/15 @ 3:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinfool1
fishinfool1
USER since 3/14/10
What is the law in Wisconsin concerning boat trailer License plates. I see some boat trailers with plates and others without. Is there a special plate for boats or do you put your vehicle plate on the boat trailer.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
3/20/15 @ 2:30 PM
Aluma1
Aluma1
USER since 4/12/03
I really meant if you are towing over 3000 lb boat out of state with no wis plates. Their is allot of older boats in Wisconsin that do not have plates and are over 3000 lbs. I have not heard of anybody's single axle trailer getting checked for plates in wis.

Post Your Comment
3/19/15 @ 8:12 AM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Aluma1

If you are legal in WI with no plates (<3000#), you cannot be ticketed for no plates if driving through other states - must follow the laws to where the item is registered.

sc

Post Your Comment
3/18/15 @ 9:35 PM
Aluma1
Aluma1
USER since 4/12/03
Law for plates went in sometime after i bought a boat in 2005. I bought a new 2014 and found out I needed plates for it. Seems like WI kind of had a soft rollout on plate enforcement. Single axles on both boats. Both over 3000 lbs. Do not forget it is not just the boat motor and fuel. The trailer also counts for the 3000 lbs. If you have a older boat single axle you might get away with towing without plates in WI. Something to think about is driving out of state with no plates. Can not get away telling the cops you do not need plates because you are from WI. WI will assign you a number and send you the plates. Have to renew your sticker every year. PS if you use a four wheeler on frozen lakes or public prop you now have to have a rear plate also. That plate you have to buy yourself. Normally online. The numbers are your atv registration numbers I belive. Over 3000 lbs also requird to have trailer brakes.

Edited on 3/18/15 9:53 PM
Post Your Comment
3/3/15 @ 10:37 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
Scmuskies is correct, 3000# brake even point. I just bought a boat with a dual axle trailer, I am going to need plates.

Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 3:57 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
If operating over 3000 lbs, a plate is required for your trailer:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/mobile-home.htm

Simplistically, if it's a single axle, you'll most likely be fine*.

* - if unsure, weigh the boat/motor/trailer/accessories combo & find out.

sc

Edited on 3/2/15 3:58 PM
Post Your Comment
3/2/15 @ 3:56 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02
I don't think you need a plate on your trailer in wis. if your a resident. I don't have one on my boat or 4 wheeler trailer and haven't got a ticket yet.

Edited on 3/2/15 3:59 PM
Post Your Comment