SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Leaking rivets

6/19/18 @ 10:38 PM
INITIAL POST
opusangler
User since 6/9/11

I have some leaking rivets on my aluminum 16’ Starcraft. Recommendations for what you have had success with to fix, adhesive, epoxy? Thanks for all advise. 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/21/18 @ 2:27 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Loctite, JBWeld, and PC-11 make marine grade epoxy that you don't have to buy gallons of.

6/21/18 @ 11:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Oh man that was back in high school, I'm not sure what brand epoxy we used. All I know is it was a marine epoxy not your standard epoxy (couldn't tell you the difference though). I believe it came in a kit with the resin and hardener. A quick google search brings up a bunch of options. The video posted below is probably something similar, I didn't watch it though.

He sold the boat a couple years later and it wasn't leaking at that point. Last I heard the guy he sold it to gave it to his kid and he's still using it. Not sure if he ever needed to do more work to it or not though. Even if you only get 5 years out of it, it's simple enough to repeat as needed.

6/21/18 @ 9:04 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

6/21/18 @ 8:29 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

kvan,

What kind of epoxy did you use and roughly how long did it last, if you know?

6/21/18 @ 8:14 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

https://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/blind-pop-advel-rivets/closed-end-blind-rivets/

Pop rivets can be applied from one side.  Just be sure to get the solid ones, as standard pop rivets have holes through them.

The ones sold in the link above are advertised as 'self-sealing' - I'd still put a dab of silicone on it before applying.

6/21/18 @ 8:08 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

We used epoxy on my dad's old v-bottom. We skipped the filling the boat part and epoxy'ed all the rivets since it's so simple and quick. The epoxy adheres to aluminum remarkably well as long as you let it set correctly.

Replacing the rivets = more work, but fixes the problem

Sealing the rivets = easy, no more leak, but doesn't fix the underlying issue

6/20/18 @ 7:30 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

I'd say the key is to put the plug back in after you drain the water.

Don't most rivet tools require access to both sides?

6/20/18 @ 1:08 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

If you have a rivet tool....

Put boat on trailer.  Put in plug.  Fill boat with water above rivet level.  Get under trailer with a magic marker, circle leaky rivets. 

This is key here, take plug out.

Drill out leaky rivets.  Replace, apply a smear of marine silicone to the rivet before placing.

6/19/18 @ 11:07 PM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
User since 5/24/03

JB weld

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE