MORE
Boats & Motors

LAKEMASTER OR NAVIONICS

1/25/15 @ 5:14 PM
INITIAL POST
burroak
burroak
User since 6/26/01
I am looking at getting a chip for my Humminbird side and down scan. Any opinions on which one to get? All of my fishing is in Wisconsin mainly Madison and Minocqua areas. PM me if you wish.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
10/17/18 @ 8:47 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

If you have a Helix or Solix you can also make your own maps.

Google "autochart live". They are way better than any chip.

10/16/18 @ 10:43 AM
eyelooking
eyelooking
User since 2/28/05

I love my Navionics chart as you can update the charts unlike Lakemaster. I also add community edits using the Navionics mobile app. I fish big rivers and fish the wind dams and they have the 1 ft contour. I actually record all waters I fish and upload those sonar logs to the Navionics website to make the maps even better. Navionics rocks! 

7/29/15 @ 3:19 PM
wimwuen
User since 12/5/05
For Humminbird you want Lakemaster. Without Lakemaster, you can't use the depth shading, or depth offset features. As far as I'm concerned, those are two of the best features they ever came up with. I set the depth range I want to target as Green, and the shallow water as red, and I can quickly find spots at a glance, and while driving at full speed.
7/28/15 @ 10:44 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I would go with Lakemaster, over the years I have used and still do use both lakemaster and Navionics. Even used the Lowrance chips, have heard several different version of where Lowrance got their information from, doesn't really matter. Sure, you may want the most recent information, but really think about it. If company A surveyed a lake to 1' contours 2 years ago, and company B. surveyed the same lake to 1' contours last year, assume the surveys were done the same way, has the lake really changed in 2 years? Probably not, what perhaps has changed is how the survey was done. With that said, I have been on lakes where both chips were identical, and I have been on lakes where one or the other chip was more accurate. Sure a lake can change a 1-3 feet or more per year if water levels are up or down, the differences I am referring to are like wow, where did this hole come from, or where did this big flat come from. You are not going to know the differences in the two chips unless you are able to compare them side by side unfortunately. Perhaps a buddy has one and you bought the other. Although as I said, I do prefer Lakemaster chips. Good luck with your decision.
7/27/15 @ 7:36 PM
Nessie
Nessie
User since 6/15/01
Looking at getting the LakeMaster Wisconsin V6 chip. Does anyone have this version? Is Lake Michigan on it? It lists Lake Michigan on the website but one of their sales reps said it's not on there. Not sure which one to believe.
2/2/15 @ 10:08 AM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05
I had this same dilemma a few years ago and ended up with LakeMaster and have been extremely happy. Check out the following link and go to the "lake list". If they lakes you fish are included get the LakeMaster and don't look back. You won't be disappointed. http://www.humminbird.com/Products/WISCONSIN-MSD/ Edit: You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page on that link. Below the FAQs you will see "Manuals".
1/26/15 @ 8:09 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Humminbird/Lakemaster have another option. If you don't want to spend the $$ on a chip with all the lakes, and you only fish a few lakes...if those lakes are in HD, you can download a single lake http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/ChartSelect as to which chip, I have both the Lakemaster and Navionics Platinum for my 998csi Originally only had Lakemaster chip, but it was missing some lakes I fish. Navionics had those lakes, so I am covered I like both chips
1/25/15 @ 6:55 PM
KirtHt
User since 8/31/12
What Humminbird do you have first of all that will make a difference, second you have to look at current data not a chip that is couple years old like some might suggest. People are always going to throw Lakemaster out as the Holy Grail of mapping. If you go to the Navionics website go to the top of the page and it will say WebApp click on that her you will find the map previewer, zoom in on the lakes you fish then depending on the model sonar you have and if its capable of using SonarCharts data, click on the sonar icon on the lower left corner this will enable SonarCharts aka Fish n Chips on your sonar, there is much more data or detail here, not all sonars can run SonarCHarts. Sonar Charts is available on Hotmaps Platinum and Nav+. They also give a year of free umlauted updates, so as maps become better you can refresh your chip info. You can also log sonar and make the maps even better, there is always some discrepancies.
1/25/15 @ 5:52 PM
trackerrat
trackerrat
User since 7/12/06
I'm not impressed with navionics on my phone but love lakemaster on my bird. I fish a lot of wingdams on the Mississippi and it's spot on as to where you are on the dam or closing dam. Also really good on castle rock and petenwell compared to navionics.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE