MORE
Boats & Motors

Kicker Strap

5/23/18 @ 8:15 PM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

When do you guys strap down your kickers?

Running big motor? Trailering? Both?

New to this game.

Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/19/18 @ 7:16 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Cold Front I’m assuming you have a Storm wheel boat? I had 2001 Storm Tiller sure miss that boat

6/11/18 @ 4:56 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

That is exactly what I have too. Easy and it works! 2001 Yarcraft Storm still going strong. Mrt.

6/11/18 @ 4:25 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I have a Ranger with a Panther kicker bracket that canme with a strap.  Strap tightens up as motor is trimmed up to keep it from bouncing.
6/6/18 @ 9:18 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Older motors without power trim have a traditional shallow water drive manual lever to flip up and it locks in up position. However when under power in rough water or trailering, the rig will bounce or pound. We have all had an experience getting pounded in rough water right? Picture the kicker not being able to come down but it can travel up an inch or so. In that instance it “slams” up an inch or two then down on the trim pin. This can break or bend the pin. 

“Strapping” refers to an aftermarket strap that is used when the motor is in the stowed position and straps the motor tight in stowed position. This eliminates the violent slam on the pin keeping the motor tight on the transom and not bouncing.

However cumbersome at times to use, it is very helpful in not slamming the kicker while stowed or underway.

I am not blessed with power trim for my 97 9.9 so this is the best solution for me while under power. I don’t strap while on the trailer because I use a transom saver on my kicker as well as my main motor. 

I bent my pin the first year owning the kicker and repaired it. I now strap and it’s been at least 10 years with no issues. Just a pain to strap at times.

That’s what “strapping” a motor is referring to.

5/25/18 @ 9:05 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

My Kicker has a strap that tightens when I trim it all the way up. The motor travels that way all the time. I think it is a substitute for flipping down the bracket and having to reach way down there to release it when you want to lower the kicker to troll. It was on the boat when I bought it. Mrt.

5/24/18 @ 8:48 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

The only time we ever did was when trailering but that was with an old motor that didn't have electric trim and it would not lock the trim properly.  It would want to bounce around.  Once we got a new one with electric trim we didn't do anything but trim it up or down.

Its really no different than having a small motor on a jon boat.  If anything its stronger since its on a bigger transom.  I never did anything with my small boats.

5/24/18 @ 6:58 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Have a boat with a kicker for the past 12 years. Can someone explain to me what is meant by strapping it down when in rough water or trailering? Never heard the term.

I just trim mine up when navigating and then on the motor brace when trailering.

5/23/18 @ 9:24 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I get what you mean. I strap mine when trailering or running rough H2o. However, you always have the times you forget or end up stopping to strap it down cuz u forgot or got lazy....

5/23/18 @ 8:30 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I'm not sure what you mean by "strap it down"

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE