Jet Motors on Boats

5/30/15 @ 5:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I had a gentleman recently give me a super deal on a Aluminum Jet Boat.Can you say free. I have never really had one but had shown interest in it to fish the river below the dam. The boat is 16ft Alweld with a 50 hp Mercury Motor with a jet drive. I wish it was a little bigger but I learned a long time ago never look a gift horse in the mouth. My question is can you operate a jet boat in a area with weeds and moss? Please share your thoughts as I am considering taking it to Canada in June.
Edited on 5/30/15 7:49 PM
Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
6/30/15 @ 10:18 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
If you are interested in passing that deal along, I will take that Jet Boat off your hands for you!!!

Also Jet Motors are less powerful than an outboard equivalent. Not sure if it is 10-20% less, but a 90 HP Jet is more like a 75.

Post Your Comment
5/31/15 @ 1:05 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Thanks Riverbanks! I understand the free deal.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
5/31/15 @ 7:29 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
Great for shallow water running. Will work well below dams. Weeds are another issue, they can plug it up. Jets can also suck up a rock and lock up the impeller. If you have problems in Canada, finding someone that can help may be impossible. If you have problems with a standard prop and lower unit, help is available. If you tear up a prop, and have a spare, no problem. Jets use more gas than a prop, and will be expensive to operate in Canada. When I go to Canada, I carry a spare for everything I can, plus a good set of tools. I wouldn't go to Canada with anything I wasn't very familiar with. Free isn't always free. I hope this helps, and may all your trips be enjoyable.

Post Your Comment