i-pilot trolling & battery charge time?

6/9/14 @ 7:53 AM
ORIGINAL POST
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
I use my i-pilot while trolling for salmon. I use the kicker for propulsion and the i-pilot with the N (auto pilot)set just to keep on a straight line. Usually it seems like my speed is set on a 4, 5 or 6 setting to achieve this. Does anyone else use there's in this manner? If so, app. how long does your trolling motor batteries last? And also, has anyone had trouble with the remote battery dieing quickly? I just replaced my remote battery this spring (yes with the correct one) and after two trips salmon fishing it died. Never had this happen before? Bad battery perhaps?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
6/16/14 @ 10:24 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06
1000 rpms seems high for an idle speed. I would think that motor would be around 700 at idle. you may want to have that adjusted. I also would consider a kicker if you are going to keep the boat long term. would eliminate this problem we are discussing and is also a nice insurance policy when out on the big lake. always nice to have the kick to get home if something happens to the main motor. to answer your original question, I think 3 hours would be tops as far as battery life if using the terrova on its own...and it will be tough to even get up to speed once your rigs are out unless going with a good wind

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 5:59 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
I have a Yamaha 70hp 4-stroke on my boat, and at idle speed, around 1000rpms, I can't seem to get much slower than 2.3mph. I'm not sure how slow I could operate the I-Pilot to keep me heading in the direction I want, but I found my most productive gps speeds for trolling salmon to be in that 2.5 to 2.7mph range.

Post Your Comment
6/15/14 @ 1:31 PM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06
I've never heard of remote batteries going dead after only a few outings. I just replaced mine after 2+ years of pretty heavy use. blueline, I would try to use your outboard and the minn kota in conjuction as described previously. or invest in a kicker. what outboard do you have on your boat?

Post Your Comment
6/13/14 @ 3:55 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
Not to hijack the thread, well I guess I am a little, but I'm wondering if a guy could troll out there for salmon with nothing but the I-Pilot if he doesn't have a kicker. I have a new 16'7" Alumacraft Competitor, Tiller model, with the 80 pound thrust I-Pilot. I live right on the lake, so I go out and fish for no more than three hours a lot of the time. I'd like to keep the hours, (and my arm) off my main engine, and it doesn't seem to troll down slow enough anyway, to have the I-Pilot thrusting at the same time. I'm wondering if the boat could troll with the I-Pilot at 2.5 to 2.7mph with the drag of pulling four divers and maybe a couple boards or torpedo diver rigs (I don't have downriggers on the boat). I'm not sure how badly the drag of a half dozen rigs in the water would slow it down, nor am I sure how long I would be able to troll. I'm guessing if it can be done, I'd be using at the motor at, or near, top speed the entire time. I don't know if that is even good for an electric motor or not. Any insight? I've hardly used this trolling motor, so I just don't know.

Post Your Comment
6/12/14 @ 5:21 PM
Trophy_Taker
Trophy_Taker
USER since 4/27/08
I use mine as well for the same purpose, 3-4 setting is also correct. I use 29 series interstate batteries and can get a good 6-8 hours of trolling. As far as the batteries dying in the remote, I have had two terrovas and never had a remote eat batteries. Might be a bad remote..also i dont think it continues to search for signal, cause when the tm is stored and you bump the remote on, it shuts off in a few seconds.

Post Your Comment
6/10/14 @ 10:10 AM
smokercraft427
smokercraft427
MEMBER since 4/16/06
Thanks for the response guys. I've got a 21' Alumacraft, seems like most of the time I've got the TM speed setting between 4 - 6 while salmon fishing. I could speed up the kicker a bit but the throttle on the kicker is real touchy so I just use the i-pilot to micro adjust speed as needed and to control direction. I just installed two new size 27 Interstate batteries this spring, it seems like after app. 5 - 6 hrs of trolling they're down to app. half. As far as the i-pilot remote battery goes, I just replaced it this spring and it's dead after 3 or 4 outings. Seems that I read somewhere the i-pilot will continue to search for a gps signal if it's not unplugged from the bow power outlet? Anyone heard this? Doesn't make sense to me since when it's in the stored position it appears to kill all power. I'll also have to pay attention to the back light on the remote...maybe it's on?

Post Your Comment
6/9/14 @ 6:53 PM
cycleguy
cycleguy
USER since 2/8/05
The way you are using the trolling motor is very common. I also tend to be in the 3-4 power range, after fine tuning the kicker speed as much as possible. Side wind, going into the wind make a big difference though.

On the remote battery, I always carry two extras as when they go it sucks not having it. I had a remote that ate batteries quick, and was pretty new. I never use the light function. MinnKota replaced the remote, and it took care of it. Get most of season now... maybe, but when they go dead after a month or so, there may be something wrong.

Post Your Comment
6/9/14 @ 3:43 PM
Chiro-Chris
Chiro-Chris
USER since 4/8/13
smokercraft427,

I do the same. I use the kicker to push and the terrova on a setting that allows it to steer, 3-4 setting usually does it.

Lots of variables such as wind, waves and size of your boat.

I have a 16.5 ft deep v with double windshield, with a 5 mph wind, and 1 ft. waves.

My terrova, 24 volts with two new, size 27 batteries. After 3-4 hours the Min Kota read out says 1/4th discharged.

Chris

Post Your Comment