Humming Bird Locators

7/14/14 @ 4:11 AM
ORIGINAL POST
blue gill austin
blue gill austin
USER since 12/19/10
Looking for a reliable person in the Madison area to install a locator on my 16' aluminum boat. the unit is a Humming Bird 989 HD SI
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
7/19/14 @ 11:34 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I have the 688 (no DI/SI) with a Hotmaps Premium chip and I have found:

1. It takes a fair amount of time to lock on the first time, so I turn it on while unloading. After that it locks fast.

2. If I'm just making short hops fishing the starter/accessory battery will get low enough cranking that the GPS will flash momentarily, then not lock at all till you power down/restart. If I'm tubing or making long runs, it's OK to leave it on as I start engine.

All in all, it's not a bad graph, and adequate for my needs.

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 8:51 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
My 688 di can take the whole trickle out of the kewaunee harbor to lock on at no wake speed which is probably a good 7 minutes. After that its good. I turn it on before i launch the boat now.

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 8:13 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
I always C clamp the transducer board and test it before drilling any holes.

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 7:19 AM
trackerrat
trackerrat
USER since 7/12/06
I've never had it take more than a minute on my 597 hd di. But it's not always instantly.

Post Your Comment
7/19/14 @ 5:39 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Will be trying my new humminbird 688 HD DI today some time to get it set up the way I want it. I'm curious to check on how fast GPS starts working. This was the only negative comment I read on reviews, butk if it takes a couple minutes I don't care as long as it works good. Yesterday was only 81, but it got pretty hot out in the sun installing fish finder and taking care of other various items. (So understand not to do this in 90/100 degree weather) I'm stoked. Have to go wait in line for my mother to get 5 boxes of fresh blueberries this morn at 6:45. Can't do an early morning quiet set up!

Post Your Comment
7/17/14 @ 6:23 AM
trackerrat
trackerrat
USER since 7/12/06
I'll echo the statement about the transducer board. The DI transducers are pretty touchy as to where they're placed.

Post Your Comment
7/17/14 @ 5:41 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Hey Blue Gill, I too, have a new Hummin Bird to install. 688 HD DI I don't have to worry about hot weather this time. Tommorow will be perfect. Installs are pretty easy. One thing to make sure is don't accidentally disconnect something. On older boats such as mine, the wiring under the console is a complete circus. It's a good time too make sure all your other wiring is secured properly. Also, just make sure you have the right placement on your transom. If we were closer to each other, we could have knocked out both boats in less than 2 hours. Sorry I'm not familiar with Madison area. Any marine shop will do it for no less than about 85 an hour. I'm out here by PLMLK so to far away to help. Good fishing

Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 8:05 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Good stuff JB, I'm right there with you...

Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 6:31 PM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I'm there with you on loving the boat, Plymlk.

Think the sweat in my eyes and mosquitoes feasting on me soured me on this one as much as the task.

I added trailer guides and a Twist Step to the new boat so far this year. Last year I changed the trailer bunks, changed out the trolling motor board before storing the old one. Always changed my own gear lube, checked prop for line, and winterized on my own. (so I'll do some of this stuff as well still)

Edited on 7/16/14 6:32 PM
Post Your Comment
7/16/14 @ 6:07 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I can appreciate that perspective JB...

Can't remember the last time I changed oil in my truck, or replaced my brake pads. Neither are terribly difficult, guess I would just rather pay somebody to do it.

The boat is different for me I guess. The only reason I have a truck is to get me to work, and pull my boat around - no real love affair. My boat on the other hand, lover her to death, and enjoy tinkering with things...

Edited on 7/16/14 6:09 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts