How to load on bunk trailer?

9/12/17 @ 11:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11

I have  a used (new to me) 19 ft lund glass boat with a bunk style trailer.  what is easiest method to load it?

Do you run the boat up up until it hits bumper on winch?

I did try this and it seems to put a lot of stress on trailer.

Or get half way up and crank the rest?  Then how deep does trailer go into the water?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
9/22/17 @ 12:16 PM
Tuffy2
Tuffy2
USER since 7/7/04

Like others have already said, back the trailer in the water until you are fully submerging the bunks, then pull it forward until about 1/3 of your bunks are out of the water. Drive into the trailer and just give it a little shot with the throttle and then winch it up the rest of the way. I put a Fulton F2 two speed winch on my trailer and it really makes it easy. I think one of my grandchildren could winch my boat up now. Well worth the money.

Post Your Comment
9/21/17 @ 7:20 PM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06

Tim,I swear it's nothing like my old shorelander roller was! So far I love em.Going to Star Lakein Vilas this coming week which has a pretty shallow launch.Should be a big help. It was really tough going without them. This is my 3rd boat and trailer.Present trailer is a Trailmaster. I suppose there would be a chance of losing it,I never chance it,always have a chain on it til it's time.I don't think they're as slippery as I was warned about. Like I said,I had a roller for the last 15 years!! I would guess if you didn't like them,it would be easy to just take them off."

Edited on 9/21/17 7:30 PM
Post Your Comment
9/21/17 @ 12:23 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

I have ultimate bunk boards which means the entire bunk is composite and I would say it depends....  I would not chance it on a very steep ramp with heavy boat.   I dont worry about it with my 17 aluminum though.   I have never had it move or even put significant pressure on bow strap until I floated boat off trailer.   If you were backing down though and hit breaks hard...that might be issue.  I think once it gets started it would not stop.   

Edited on 9/21/17 12:24 PM
Post Your Comment
9/21/17 @ 12:01 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

boge, do those ez-slide pads leave any chance of boat sliding off trailer on a launch site like roller's woud?

Post Your Comment
9/21/17 @ 12:00 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

12packabs, my bunks don't ever dry out in a day either, however I have launched my boat parked in parking lot and sprayed them.  I will soak the bunks with the entire can, perhaps less effective, but still works.

Post Your Comment
9/20/17 @ 9:02 AM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01

Drive on 1/2 way, leave in gear and winch up........

Post Your Comment
9/20/17 @ 7:59 AM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06

A couple months ago I posted a similar question. Great response,appreciated the different responses. I went with E Z slide pads that bought from Cabelas and am VERY pleased with the results. Probably 7 launches from 3 different ramps. Cheap,and very easy to install. I had just purchased a new(used)18.5 Lund,and was used to roller trailers.

Post Your Comment
9/16/17 @ 1:32 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Tim,

I always read that silicone spray is a great tool to make the bunks more slippery, but you have to apply it when the carpet is dry (that makes it impossible for me to use...I usually fish for 3-5 hours at a time and the bunks never dry out completely.

I think the silicone spray will stay on the bunks longer when applied dry...it washes off quickly when applied wet.

Either way, good idea.

Post Your Comment
9/15/17 @ 10:21 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Power loading is frowned upon at most places and illegal in many places.  With that said, winching a 20 footer up bunks is a pain!!  Get the bunks wet, or spray them down with Silicone which can be done when you launch and they are wet, will make it slide much easier.  Each launch and trailer will be different how far in you need to go.  Bottom line get trailer in far enought so you can float on and winch it the last foor or so if you need to.

Post Your Comment
9/14/17 @ 5:30 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Trailer specs are different...my last trailer (Karavan I think) the bunks were submerged when the water level was just above the wheels' axles.  My new trailer, the entire wheels are submerged when the bunks are at the right depth to drive 1/2-on , then crank the rest.  My new trailer bunks are mounted much higher, relative to the axle, than the old trailer.  Not adjustable because it is a welded trailer without height adjustments on the bunks.  I love the new trailer, but it has to back in MUCH deeper than my old one.

You will never get the stink-eye from anyone at a launch by not power-loading with throttle....just a thought.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts