How and where to mount external GPS puck

9/2/15 @ 7:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Beezer
Beezer
USER since 6/30/01
I picked up a lowrance lms-220c. I am going to install it tomorrow. It appears that you need to drill a couple holes and push the screws through the holes from underneath to attach to the GPS puck. Is there an easier way that anyone else has done? Also, what is the best location to mount it? Front back or middle of boat?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
9/14/15 @ 9:47 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
Lowrance does make a post mount that may work if you have a rail or something to mount the post to.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
9/4/15 @ 10:18 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Wow the Velcro dude below has the same stuff after 12 years, I cannot get Velcro rod wraps to last a year!! Anyhow yes, typically you want our GPS puck as close to your xducer as possible. If that cannot be accomplished, well then do the best you can. This Puck you are showing is an older perhaps first or second generation puck. If you want to mount it permanently you are going to have to drill 3 holes. One for the wire and two for the screws, sorry man.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 7:54 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Lowrance wants the external pucks a minimum 3ft away from the unit. That is what was told to me by a service guy after dealing with an issue on a customer boat.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 3:51 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03
OK. Took a look at mine and it is 2 plastic buttons that came with the Puck. See pictures.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 12:05 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I put mine on my console as well because my boat had very narrow gunwales and puck would not sit flush in rear corner of boat. That is where most people put them for proximity to transducer as stated.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 11:27 AM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03
The puck should be 2 peaces. 1 base you fasten down with twist lock system to the actual puck. I put mine next to on console in middle because my bow and console are networked with front US2 and rear transducer to pick from.

Post Your Comment
9/3/15 @ 9:42 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
not familiar with that model, but generally speaking, location, you want to mount the GPS puck/antenna as close to the transducer as possible, so that the GPS reading is matching up with what the transducer is showing on the display

Post Your Comment
9/2/15 @ 10:36 PM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
USER since 5/24/03
I attched a round piece of aluminum to the puck and then attached self adhesive velcro to the aluminum and then attached the self adhesive velcro to the boat. I could also use the GPS in the car so wanted it removable. works great in boat and car. Velcro still good after 12 years on the boat

Edited on 9/2/15 10:58 PM
Post Your Comment