SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Honda 50hp 4 stroke

9/19/18 @ 3:24 PM
INITIAL POST
TommyOB
User since 12/30/05

The other day on the water, my Honda 50 hp ran full throttle at 8000rpms. Is this a problem?

Good water flow, engine warm but not hot. No missing, cruised at 30mph with perfect trim.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
9/28/18 @ 2:46 PM
TommyOB
User since 12/30/05

Loose battery cable. And miss print. 6000rpms going into red line. All is well now. I run full throttle at 5500 to 6000. Pitch is good on the prop.

Than you for all the replies.

9/27/18 @ 7:24 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Any update???

9/21/18 @ 11:41 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I should mention, also ensure the connections on the back of your tach are tight too.  

9/20/18 @ 9:04 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I noticed the RPMs were climbing on my 150 Etec, I was concerned, because I couldn’t figure out why that was happening.  

I had not changed my prop, and the motor seemed to run as it always did. 

Long story short, after checking out all sorts of things, it was simply a loose connection on the battery.  

From the OP’s original post, a loose battery connection is my number one suspect.

9/20/18 @ 8:50 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

Interesting about the battery connections. You learn something new every day.

9/20/18 @ 8:02 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

If you didn’t recently change your prop, there is no reason for your RPM’s  to mysteriously climb that high. 

I will tell you a little known secret,  if your connections to your battery are loose, your RPM gauge will give you an inaccurate reading. 

Make sure your connections are tight, and take your motor out again. 

9/19/18 @ 7:53 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

You would have floated the valves, or blown up the engine at 8,000rpm’s. Have your tach checked right away. I’m not sure where you live, but Norton’s Dry Dock in Princeton is the best place around for Honda outboard service. Those 50 hp motors are the best!

9/19/18 @ 6:44 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
User since 7/1/03

8000 rpm will blow your motor up. You need to check maximum rpm listed by the manufacturer and adjust your prop pitch accordingly.  Honda makes an outstanding motor.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE