SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Honda 150 Heat Warning

11/15/17 @ 2:00 PM
INITIAL POST
GGroce
User since 11/15/17

Question hoping to get an idea where to start.

I have a 2004 Honda 150 that after running around 5 minutes at 4k-5k rpm the temperature alarm sounds. The motor is not hot and if I turn the key off and back on its good for another 5 minutes or so at the same rpm range.

I can run all day at 1k-3k and no alarm.

I bought this motor used and the alarm has gone off since I installed it. Before I ran it I a did maintenance and changed impeller, thermostat, oil, high and low pressure fuel filters, plugs.

I did notice that my water separator on the motor does not have any sensor leads on it and I thought I recalled seeing that on another BF150. May not be related but adding that note anyway.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gene

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
3/8/18 @ 3:57 PM
lostfisherman
User since 3/30/09

Take it in for  the engine to be clean out the water jacket .There is to small of wholes and they lime up slow water flow. If you do not understand  then Contact       

http://www.harborrec.com/4-2/ 

They help me with mine .

11/20/17 @ 12:32 AM
LIL MAN
User since 5/20/08

impeller blade not clock right ???

11/15/17 @ 11:52 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

A couple of things...

When the motor is running have you verified water flow via the tell tale stream or at the rear of the motor (outlet of the thermostats)

Your sensor is located on the head, when the alarm goes off can you take an actual temperature reading of the head via an infrared thermometer or by a surface mount type thermocouple? From there you can compare the actual temperature to the rating on the over temp sensor. 

Lastly, interesting that the motor only alarms at a higher rpm.  At a higher RPM your motor requires more water to cool the engine.  Sight unseen, seems like a water flow problem.  

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE