SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Honda 115 alarm

10/14/17 @ 3:06 AM
INITIAL POST
ugotwhat
User since 2/10/09

Motor alarm going off when boat is started goes off in 10 to 15 minutes of run time is this a bad sensor motor does not overheat

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
10/25/17 @ 9:05 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

If it is a newer fuel  injected motor you should have a code stored in the engine control computer. Do you have a monitor gauge in the boat? If so it should tell you if it is overheat, oil pressure, ect.

10/18/17 @ 5:53 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

It would hv to be the sensor... when you first start your engine it is cold. 

Certainly it could't be overheating on a cold start.

10/18/17 @ 4:58 AM
ugotwhat
User since 2/10/09

Alarm goes off as soon as I start the motor then goes off after some run time impeller replaced so I guess it the thermostat not operating properly is there anything I need to know before changing the thermostat

10/17/17 @ 7:15 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Huh?  That is the opposite of what I understood from you original post...

The alarm sounds when you start the engine, and goes silent after 10 minutes of run time - or the alarm is silent when you start the engine, but goes off after 10 minutes?

If the alarm is going off right away I'd suspect the sensor.  If it is the other way around, I'd suspect the impeller first, and then the thermostats.

Impellers should be replaced every couple of years.  Thermostats seldom go bad, but I have seen it happen a time or two.

10/17/17 @ 5:12 PM
ugotwhat
User since 2/10/09

I think the thermostat is likely the alarm starts with the engine then goes off after ten minutes

10/17/17 @ 4:55 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm with the boys on this one.  Alarm goes off in 10 - 15 minutes, it sounds legit.  Just because there is water coming out the "pee hole" doesn't mean it can't overheat.  If the impeller is warped or worn, it may not be moving enough water.  

The old saying goes "the most likely answer is probably the right one" and in this case, the most likely answer is the impeller needs to be replaced.

10/14/17 @ 4:44 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

I find it odd that if the sensor was bad, it would take 10 or 15 minutes to alarm.

I would guess one of your thermostats is not opening, or your impeller is getting weak and / or missing a blade or two. 

I'd pull the thermostats out and put them in a pot of water on low.  They should open around 140 - it's very easy to see when they open.  Also, sometimes you may find some debris in there.  If this checks out I'd feel your heads while the engine overheat alarm is active.  I would estimate your outboard's normal operating temp is somewhere around 160.  If you have an infrared thermometer you could give it a quick scan to see.  Or if you have the thermocouple type, you could strap it to the head prior to the alarm going off. 

I'm guessing the alarm is legit...

Of course I'm just an HVAC guy who wrenches on his own stuff.  Boattech would likely have better info.

10/14/17 @ 2:35 PM
ugotwhat
User since 2/10/09

Was clogged at one time but shooting out fine now

10/14/17 @ 6:44 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

going for the obvious... is it spitting water from the pee hole

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE