MEMBER since 12/18/07
That stinks WV...

I was hoping for an easy fix for you...

Post Your Comment
5/30/14 @ 6:05 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
So whats the verdict WV???? Get her figured out?

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 8:28 AM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
USER since 3/3/13
I would say bad hub also. Dads boat had same issue It would rev up on us.

Post Your Comment
5/26/14 @ 12:14 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Couple of things WV...

Is your hub an integral part of your prop or is it serviceable?

For me, I have a couple of props, and I change them based on what I will be doing (pulling the kids up on skis, or long treks on the Wolf)At any rate, I only have one hub, and change it from prop to prop. Guess my point is, you can have a new prop but have a bad hub...

Understand everybody's thoughts on the clutch dog, certainly could be that too. However, clutch dogs don't typically fail in short order, many times it is a gradual thing that gets progressively worse.

Have you been hearing grinding when you put it in to gear? They usually grind fairly noticeable when they are going. Has it popped out of gear, or have trouble staying in gear? If no to any of these, you may want to consider a new hub or prop before a clutch dog.

Post Your Comment
5/26/14 @ 8:56 AM
bonz-dragon
bonz-dragon
USER since 6/16/09
Manual shift OMC outboard are prone to clutch dog wear. Most of it comes from operator using an easy shift instead of a firm quick shift. Which causes the gears to grind together.

A new clutch dog will set you back about $145.00 and is still available from BRP/OMC. Plus you will need a seal kit.

Again not that hard to replace.

Post Your Comment
5/25/14 @ 10:51 PM
stampman
stampman
USER since 8/27/02
Sounds like the clutch dog is needing to be replaced. Those split gear cases are not to difficult to work on. You might need a new clutch dog and then new seals.

Post Your Comment
5/25/14 @ 5:05 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Shift (or clutch) dog.

Look for worn or missing gear teeth.

Post Your Comment