Fuel pumpissue

12/24/17 @ 11:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
USER since 3/26/07

I have a 98 black max 150efi. My fuel pump at times will work fine then just quit. I replaced the pump and still have the same issues.

Can anyone give me direction to cause.

thank you

Edited on 12/24/17 11:18 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
3/20/18 @ 6:57 PM
fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
USER since 3/26/07

After going through the killswitch and the the ground. I also went thought all the wiring I could. Found nothing.

I took it in to be looked at. What I was told that it is mey ecm.  That the drive pump went bad and is causing my problem. Was told that this part is no longer available. 

I am checking on getting it rebuilt.

Post Your Comment
3/4/18 @ 9:45 AM
fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
USER since 3/26/07

That’s what I was considering. 

Thanks

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 9:18 AM
Jeremy
Jeremy
USER since 6/15/01

You might want to check the grounding at the engine and check the kill switch circuit

My 40 EFI kill circuit disables the fuel pump

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 10:30 AM
HotPockeT
HotPockeT
USER since 3/18/11

Efi has 2 fuel pumps doesnt it?  Lift pump and a High pressure pump?  Last time i had and issue and my 2006 I thought it was a pump but it turned out to be the fuel regulator

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 9:20 AM
fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
USER since 3/26/07

Thank you for your thoughts.

I’m not thinking it’s a fuel issue. I have a kicker motor connected to the fuel line. Never an issue with it. The line was replaced from splitter to main motor when added kicker. 

I only use prem. In all small motors. The owner before me only burnt prem. Also.

I’m leaning to electrical. I have noticed when the motor quits I  try and restart, I don’t here the pump run.  

As I stated the pump is new. At this point I’m not thinking the pump itself is the issue. 

Could it be in the ignition switch, closing current to the pump. If so can the pump be hot wired for testing purposes?

can the switch be tested to make sure current not being blocked intermitantly? ( it will run fine different days)

Thanks

Post Your Comment
2/6/18 @ 9:20 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Ethanol will wreak havoc on your fuel lines.  Could be as simple as the fuel line is deteriating to the point that it is collapsing while running.  I would check and replace fuel lines.

Edited on 2/6/18 9:20 AM
Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 4:54 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

What kind of fuel have you been running and what type of fuel lines do you have? I had a similar issue based on what you described and what fixed it was replacing all the lines and pick up. My boats previous owner ran gas with ethanol in it and it made junk of the fuel lines. Went with marine grade fuel lines and it’s been mostly fine....one other issue that popped up because of the crap gas was a rubber diaphragm in the pump developed a hole in it and it would kick off and on. 

Checking for either an electrical or fuel line issue is relatively easy. You just need patience. For peace of mind I’d check both if I were you. 

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 4:50 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Determining whether it is a electrical or fuel delivery issue is a good place to start.  

Does the motor fire right back up after quitting?  

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 2:49 PM
fuzzyfishin
fuzzyfishin
USER since 3/26/07

Was hoping to get some imput to fix my issue. 

I am leaning to believe it’s in my ignition switch.

Post Your Comment