first time outboard owner questions

12/23/15 @ 8:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
COLDDRIVER
COLDDRIVER
USER since 12/19/05
I have only ever had a i/o's, bought a new 17'with mercury outboard this summer. Not really sure what to do to the motor if winter ever comes. Will the ccold crack the block? Whats to cold? Does motor need to be fogged? Taken off boat and put in side? Any help would be greatley appreciated! And Merry Christmas.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
12/25/15 @ 9:00 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
If you have cable steering add some grease to the zerk fittings there and on the motor's shaft. If you have Bearing Buddies I'd put a couple of squirts in them so there is less room for water. A little oil on the winch and boat dolly might also be in order.

Remove the prop to check for fishing line and then put a little grease on the shaft before putting the prop back on. It's also a good time to check the condition of your spark plugs. Even if they are OK good to remove from time to time so they don't lock in place.

Remove the various connectors to your battery and stick the ends in a solution of baking soda to remove oxidation and acid. Once it stops bubbling dry off. Then buff with a small wire brush and then a light coat of grease. Clean the posts on the battery.

Most recommend storing batteries in a heated area and not directly on concrete. It is important to check the charge over the course of storage. If you don't there is a chance that the stuff that builds up on the battery plates when discharged will decrease the ability to take a full charge and reduce the longevity of your battery. I have an onboared charger so I leave mine stored in the boat and plugged in for storage.

Or you could haul it to FL like I plan to next wk for 3 mon.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
12/24/15 @ 4:51 PM
COLDDRIVER
COLDDRIVER
USER since 12/19/05
Thanks everybody! Merry Christmas!!

Post Your Comment
12/24/15 @ 3:09 PM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
Every one of the guys who have posted are spot on. I will add that one of the main things fogging does is puts ubricant on the assortment of rings on the piston and prevents them from sticking which is one of the main causes of engine damage.

Have a Merry Christmas

Post Your Comment
12/23/15 @ 5:24 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Typically you drain the gear oil from the lower unit since it might have water leaked into there. Water in freezing temps could crack or damage your motor. Then replace the gear lube with new lube. Fogging isnt necessary but prevents corrosion inside the combustion chamber. Good idea to fog it. The key is to protect everything from moisture issues. So your gas must be nonethanol and treatd with a stabalizer.

Post Your Comment
12/23/15 @ 5:15 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
coldriver, read your owners manual. If you dont have one then buy one from the dealer or direct from mercury.

You can buy a repair manual instead of a owners manual for 40-100 bucks depending on size of mortor. Even if you dont do your own repairs its an excellent way to know your engine. Good investment.

Post Your Comment
12/23/15 @ 1:21 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Walleye Will, what are you running antifreeze through? The cooling system?

I tilt my motor up and down a few times and turn it side to side when it's fully tilted up. My old motor was a V4 and all of the water wouldn't come out of the block unless I did that. My newer motor is a strait 3 cylinder and it doesn't seem to make a difference but I do it anyways. Why risk cracking your block. I don't drain my gas, I just add Sea Foam to the tank and make sure I run some of the treated gas through the line and carbs. Change the lower unit oil and I'm done. That process has worked for me for 25 years and 6 different motors.

I do run antifreeze through my livewell lines. I had a buddy who almost sunk his rig one spring after ice had cracked one of his drain lines and filled the bilge with lake water.

Post Your Comment
12/23/15 @ 9:02 AM
Walleye Will 16
Walleye Will 16
USER since 2/13/15
I normally winterize my moter when it is about 30-35 constantly. you should trim the motor all the way down to drain the water then u can remove the spark plugs fog the engine, oil change the lower unit oil, drain the gas and run antifreeze through it.

Then look at your Manuel for anything else.

Post Your Comment