Evinruide 120 HP Rebuild or Not?

7/27/15 @ 9:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
'Eye Catcher
'Eye Catcher
USER since 6/15/01
I have 1 1992 120 HP Evinrude VRO. In the last 3 years I replaced the VRO. rebuilt the carbs, replaced the impeller and the thermostats. This year the powerhead went. I have bad compression in 3 of the 4 cylinders. (60, 60, 75, and 90 lbs) I am considering rebuilding or replacing the powerhead but I don't want to spend the money until I know it would be worth it. The lower unit is in good shape and I have had no issues with it. It ran well last year but never really got it going this year. Can the power pack be tested to ensure it is ok because if that is bad it adds significant cost. Reed Valves are another thing that concern me? How can you verify they are good or not? Are there any other things to look at prior to deciding to rebuild or not? Any help is appreciated.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
7/29/15 @ 12:47 PM
Highthrust
Highthrust
MEMBER since 1/21/13
Rebuilding is always a gamble. If the motor was running well before the PH failure I would not expect to have other issues after rebuild. The electronics test will only tell you what you already know - they are working!

The quality of the rebuild will be the key to having a reliable outboard.

The one issue which can haunt that vintage of engine is pistons. The pin which locates the piston rings can come loose and allow the rings to rotate and catch in a port. It is possible that's what happened to fail it.

It is very risky to rebuild one of these engines without replacing all the pistons, rings.

The condition of the cylinders is the other question. If they are not badly damaged or worn. Many times they can be clean, honed and reused without boring oversize.

All of this said you'll have to way the cost of the rebuild vs the cost of another engine. Used engines are available.

Good Luck Highthrust

Post Your Comment