Entry level glass boat

5/13/14 @ 8:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08
Is there such a thing as an entry level fiberglass boat. I am currently boat deficient and have started looking at boats. I am fishing out of a canoe right now at it has proved to be a challenge at times. I would be looking at a 14 to 16 ft boat nothing bigger. I have had tillers and console boats in the past. Those were all aluminum boats though. I fished with a friend out of a Tuffy and it seamed a lot more stable in the wind than boats I have fished out of before. I would like to find a glass boat that doesn't break the bank if that is possible. I would like to find a used boat since I don't believe a new boat is possible for me at this time. What kind of options should I look at? Is there any special care for a glass boat compared to metal? Am I completely off my rocker on this idea, and should just look at a smaller aluminum boat instead? Thank you for your responses and hope your fishing has been good this spring.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/16/14 @ 11:16 AM
BoatFever
BoatFever
USER since 10/7/07
My first boat was [still is> a fiberglass Stratos 179V F&S. It was old (198Cool but in great condition. It's a smaller boat, 17ft, with a nice trailer. Has a 120hp Evinrude and original Evinrude 24V trolling motor. Does about 45mph fully loaded with just me in the boat. I paid only $4500 for it 7 years ago. I still have it.

It's small enough that I can easily launch and load by myself. So, Yes, I say there are good entry level glass boats that won't break you financially. I've seen boats almost identical to mine where the seller was asking $3800. You just have to keep your eyes open. I found it on the Milwaukee Craig's list site.

Post Your Comment
5/15/14 @ 9:09 AM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
Team G check your PM

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 10:56 PM
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08
I found a 15 foot tuffy at Rib MT marine for 3300 with a 20 hp mariner on it. It looks really nice and is kind of what I am looking for. I have to get more details and go take a look at it. I have heard tuffy's are hit and miss depending on the year it was made.

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 9:40 AM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
buy a pre owned that is all set up. a couple years old is like a new boat and you will save thousands. boats don't get used everyday for most people like cars do.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 6:58 PM
Flipping & Pitching
Flipping & Pitching
USER since 11/8/08
Hi, I have a 2011 Stratos 176xt with a 75HP Opti..This is my 2nd Stratos first one was a 190 f/s great boat, it just was to big after my kids grew up.

Love the XT. I had a larger boat before and traded it in for this one. Easy on gas, as well as economical to trailer. While I don't fish real big water, I do fish Delavan and Geneva as well as Illinois lakes. No issues with the boat, when I'm by my self its easy to launch and recover. Plenty of storage for 7 ft rods and tackle. It will do about 40mph with one guest in the boat. What I did do was to upgrade to a 24v trolling motor for windy days. I purchased it at Cabela's in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. I got a great deal and quick setup. Also I had one trailer issue, they took care of it right away. Excellent service Personnel.

You might be able to find a good used one, but I would not buy the first generation ones..mainly do to storage issues, the 2nd generation ones addressed the problem.

Edited on 5/13/14 7:00 PM
Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 10:06 AM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
I would go at least 16' you will have more room and it would be more stable. It really would be a toss up for what you find. But a aluminum boat would work just fine on those bodies of water. I happen to prefer glass because of where I fish. Maintenance is not that much different. Like any boat you want to keep the hull clean and not banged up. I think there are a lot of good boats in the 16' range out there for sale. Just look the boats over good look for popped rivets, soft transoms etc. Good Luck

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 9:55 AM
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08
This boat will mostly see flowages like the TFF or Chippewa and my home water of Lake DuBay along with the Wisconsin river. I don't go to the great lakes or big bodies like Bago. I fish for walleye and musky along with panfish for the kids.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 9:49 AM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
What kind of fishing are you looking at doing? Bago, River, small lake, Lake Michigan? those are things that can play into your decision of preference. I fish out of a 17' Warrior and I can pretty much fish any body of water I want. Weather really only factors for me on Lake Michigan. I have fished Bago out of my first boat which was a 16' sylvan and did get blown around a bit on rougher days. But it was really nice on rivers and most other lakes. My other opinion would to make sure you have a big enough motor for the boat you may look at. Don't get sucked in to a boat that the motor is to under powered for the boat. You will regret it. There are a lot of boats set up that way because people wanted to save money or the dealers could offer a lower price. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Post Your Comment