Enough boat for the Mighty Miss?

5/20/15 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
Hey guys. Dumb question but just curious to see what some of you think. I have an 87 Bayliner 1410 Fish & ski, the little mini bass boats. Strapped with a 50 horse. I've been fishing the last couple years, but have always been a lake fisherman. I'd like to present myself with a few more opportunities on the Mississippi around Cassville/Bagley area. Being its just a 14ft boat, I'll be alright out there correct? Obviously common sense & safety goes a long way. Thanks for the input fellas.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
6/29/15 @ 6:40 AM
fishen_soon
fishen_soon
MEMBER since 6/24/14
I used to fish it in a 14' Lung/Shell Lake fiberglass with a 20 Chrysler on the back. Just watch the surface for wing dams and don't go nuts. Your boat should be just fine.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 3:48 PM
pool9fish
pool9fish
USER since 3/7/11
cds, It is almost spooky that you knew that. It's a Mariner.

Edited on 6/26/15 3:50 PM
Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 7:06 AM
rivrbanks
rivrbanks
USER since 2/2/15
One other thing I carry in the boat that has come in handy over the years, is a long pair of jumper cables. I've jumped other boaters, as well as being jumped. Because of the expense, I run my batteries as long as I can. I've had to jump start the motor off the trolling motor batteries a few times, because running the aireator pump all day pulled the starter battery down.

Post Your Comment
6/3/15 @ 11:14 AM
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
I appreciate all the input guys. I finally braved it out and dropped the ol Bayliner on the Miss outside of Wyalusing Park. Got around very well actually.. Did get a little nervous at one point coming out of a cut, back into the channel. Traffic got pretty heavy and I caught a sideways as I was trying to straighten out. Thought I was gonna have water come over the transom for a second.. that woulda been a bad deal with the boat not having a bilge pump. Any more tips on handling the boat in general out on the channel? Definitely a lot different than being on an inland body.

Post Your Comment
6/2/15 @ 2:18 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
I use to fish the Mississippi quite a bit years ago. You can not be to careful on anybody of water. Respect it and have a blast. YOU never know what you will catch and how big it will be. Good fishing!

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
5/31/15 @ 6:41 PM
chopper
chopper
USER since 7/2/01
As a kid - 40 years ago - the typical boat on the Mississippi was a 14 foot jon boat with the 15 horse. Remember lots of 12s with a 6 horse too.

Post Your Comment
5/23/15 @ 8:40 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I used to love my 14. Had a 15 evinrude on her. Previous posters have all good points and I just want to add having a set of oars. We always had the oars on her but never had to use them. Had to use the trolling motor once to get back to launch. If that would have given out, I would of oar'd back. You probably already have oars so the point is moot. Just for others in same situation.

Post Your Comment
5/22/15 @ 9:19 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
That's a solid boat...Is that a Mariner on there? Well maintained Mariners seem to be pretty reliable.... I've fished from a couple different 14'ers and seen more than a few 12' jons on the river.

Keep the engine well maintained and know where the wingdams are. GPS with map chip shows most but not all. It's a good investment.

Post Your Comment
5/22/15 @ 6:40 PM
pool9fish
pool9fish
USER since 3/7/11
You shouldn't have any problem. I have a 15hp outboard on my 14ft boat and it is plenty strong enough for the current. I fish on the river about 50 times a year. Rivrbanks gives good advice. Good luck and good fishing.

Edited on 5/22/15 6:44 PM
Post Your Comment
5/22/15 @ 10:35 AM
grahamky
grahamky
USER since 4/9/13
Thank you for your input! I really do appreciate it.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts