engine wiring?

4/29/15 @ 3:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
'87 merc. 90 hp oil injection. have 6 wires(connected they make 3). there are 2 blue, 2 green and 2 brown and all have a white strip on them. each is connected to it's own color, but I noticed the brown wires were not connected. they are located on the drivers side towards the bottom. of the engine. I connected them anyway but didn't start the boat yet. I didn't know if I knocked them loose taken the cowl off or they are for a feature that is not equipped on the engine/boat. any ideas what the brown wires are for? thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
4/29/15 @ 9:50 PM
cajunmusky
cajunmusky
USER since 8/22/05
Yup-

The browns are for a trim sender unit-

This is an optional seperate sensor that will send to a trim gauge installed in the dash. Small part that mounts to the driver side of an outboard, about 75$, can be istalled yourself, but on a small boat it is kind of useless- I am adjusting tim constantly anyway and it is more of a by feel thing for me.

Post Your Comment
4/29/15 @ 5:49 PM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
The brown wire I believe is for an oil gauge or temp gauge. I don't remember exactly which one. The blue is for your up trim and green is down. Leave the brown disconnected.

Post Your Comment